HP Chromebook 14 Hard Drive Replacement

Spaceboy_79

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Thanks for your response. Could you please give me some advice on what I should do with my issue below?

I'm trying to wipe a Chromebook that's tied to an old domain. I've tried using the Chrome Recovery tool, but it doesn't work. So then my next thought was that if I replaced the hard drive, I'd be good to go. Are you telling me that this isn't possible?

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

You could try Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN). I'm unsure if it would work with Chrome OS but it's worth a shot.

Spaceboy_79

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Yeah, I have DBAN, and was thinking the same thing. I have the recovery on a USB. Do you think the recovery software would throw me back on the old domain, after I wiped it? That shouldn't be possible, right?

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

If the recovery is just the OS then you'll be fine. Is it a system image?

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Perhaps you didn't read into the entire post but he is using an HP Chromebook 14 which comes with eMMC memory. That storage media is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be easily replaced. Here is a link to the product page for his Chromebook which lists it as having eMMC flash storage: https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/hp-chromebook-14#!&tab=vao

While your Chromebook may have a SATA SSD or HDD which can be replaced easily, the HP Chromebook 14 does not have that option.What model Chromebook are you using?

USAFRet

Illustrious

And almost 2 years later, I hope the OP is still not trying to change the drive in his HP Chromebook 14. With its 16GB or 32GB eMMC drive.

Please don't necro up old posts, or flag an alert, especially when you are actually wrong.

Dec 14, 2018

Dec 14, 2018
The question I saw asked about repacing the drive on a hp 14" Chromebook but the answer I saw said about the memory which is soldered to the board the answer to the original question of a Drive repacement is that what i answered as i have just replaced the drive on my 14" hp Chromebook

USAFRet

Illustrious

What part of "32 GB eMMC storage" or "16 GB eMMC storage"
...leads you to believe that it can be replaced?

You may well have a different system.
But an eMMC drive, as indicated by the link above, is non-replaceable.

Dec 14, 2018

Dec 14, 2018
I am referring to the Chromebooks made around 2014 which use a 32gb dad which you can replace. I have just replaced mine with an evo 860 250gb.did not expect people with newer ones to want to replace anything.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Now that we've established that we're talking about two completely different product lines...
Since the OP hasn't been back in over 6 months, closing this.