HP dv7 beasts edition hangs at Windows logo during boot

Jul 8, 2018
I have a HP dv7 beats edition laptop. One day it started getting the “STOP: 0X0000007F/E” error or was hanging during startup and I was told by HP support that the motherboard needed to be replaced. I’ve since had a repair shop install a new MB, HD and Memory as well as reinstall windows 7 (that’s what came on the laptop) but I still receive those errors or the system just hangs at the starting windows logo.

The only part that wasn’t replaced was the heat sink and fan. But I can hear the fan running so I don’t think the system is over heating.

I was able to get into Windows once but it just kept hanging for every thing I did. Ex. I click on the start button wait 5-10 mins (or longer).

I’ve also tried to installing Ubuntu but it also hangs during install or right after when I enter the OS.

I’m at a loss to what’s happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Jul 8, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply :). I did go back to them and they were unable to fix it and never charged me. They recommend me sending it to HP for fixing but I thought I would check here first just in case someone knows what might be happening.

Jul 8, 2018
Also when I try to install Ubuntu I receive a lot of errors before the screen goes to the install screen, could this shed light on what’s wrong?

mce: hardware error :
CPU 0 : machine 0 : bank 0
tsc 0 addr 3fb80
Processor 2:300f10

Jul 8, 2018
Yea that’s probably what I’ll do then. I just tried to change the startup using msconfig and choose diagnostic startup and everything seems to be running without freezing, so I’m now guessing it’s something to do with the services. Any idea which it could be there’s quite a few running but no idea which to turn off since the comp locks up when it’s set to normal startup.

Actually if it loaded fine on diagnostic, then it wouldn't be in the service, as that still loads when you use diagnostic. However, it could be something in "Startup". That would have been restricted. Which can be a pain, because things can auto start in Windows when in there, and they don't show in the Windows Startup Folder most people look in for things that could auto start. These start up as Windows itself loads, before you really get to see most Windows screens. It is different. Things in there, however, can be a royal pain. Use up system resources, make other programs not work correctly, etc. So I would go there rather than services.

Jul 8, 2018
This is a clean install of HP oem windows 7 pro that came with the laptop, so when I go into msconfig and then startup it’s empty no programs are listed. I did notice when I select the diagnostic startup and go to services.msc it has almost everything set to disabled and im unable to go online or install programs etc.