Question HP Elitebook 2760P with transient keyboard issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2022
Our 2760P has a transient issue that defies all explanation or repair (so far). The problem is that 2 or more keys will stop working. Then they'll start working again, and others will later stop working for a time. This, as you might think, is frustrating and puzzling.

The list of things that I have tried - to no avail - include:
  • Check for debris under keys
  • Re-seat keyboard cable
  • Replace keyboard several times
  • Recheck for driver issues
  • Finally, I transplanted the hard drive to an identical system (which had a perfectly functional keyboard) - and the problem recurred. In other words, it migrated with the hard drive.
  • What am I missing?

Oct 24, 2022
Update: it is still happening, coming and going at random.

Using an external USB keyboard works fine, so it is not ALL keyboards, just the internal one.

So I changed back to the second newer Elitebook (with a hard drive swap) which has a newly repaired keyboard. It worked fine - for an hour - and then random letters began choosing not to work - for a while.

The problem thus transfers with the hard drive, but is also intermittent! Ideas?

redtrash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
Maybe some driver issue.
This happened to me too, I have a toshiba satellite e45-b4200.
some buttons (fortunately not the letters) stop working, so I had to push it multiple times until the input goes through.
To me happens so rarely that I cannot test it immediately, if this happens to you more frequently, I suggest to try a Live Linux distribution and see if this happens there too.
I've just installed Windows 10 (had Windows 8.1) and this didn't happened yet, not sure if the issue disappeared or not.

Reactions: FamilyHelpDesk
Status
Not open for further replies.