HP ENVY 17-j110ea Laptop freezes during gameplay

Jamest89

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
Hi All,

I recently bought the HP Envy 17-j110ea running Windows 8.1 (specs here http://)

i have been playing ESO and firefall on not particularly high graphics details (medium on both) and randomly (i.e. I cant seem to find anything in common between crashes) the screen will freeze and become unresponsive and the in game sounds will start to loop as to what was playing when the crash happened.

Fine i thought to myself its only a laptop and these are (fairly) demanding games - as a test I installed Dragon Age Origins to have a play about and unfortunately the same thing is happening. I dont get freezes playing movies, music or during any other activity, does anyone have any ideas what this could be or what diagnostics I could run to see if there is a problem?

many thanks in advance

sirChambers

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

I have the HP ENVY TouchSmart M7-J120DX But I had move back to Win7. I had the same problems you had.Any game would set it off. At 1st I thought It was because I had a game going and a move streaming to the tv, but no... It was Crazy working out the kinks of the laptop. I did lots of up dates lots! But I don't really know what one fixed it. so I will tell you all I did. Try to update the BOIS (make backup bios disk! flash can go wrong),Update Chipset, Wifi driver (from vender not hp), graphics drivers, your audio drivers. I think this driver was wrong. "High Definition Audio Controller" or "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" I cant remember and I updated that as well. Hope any of this helps anyone because this really Hard to get rid of.

Frankie W

Estimable
Jun 23, 2015
Try disabling you wireless adapter. Worked for me until I replaced the Centrino 2230 for the AC7260 which solve my issue.

Also, try turning off Coolsense. By doing so, the cpu temp dropped 10 C.

JLT93

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I have a similar issue. While unpreasently hot with sometimes low fps I do not get any crashing experiences until I move the laptop. The temperatures in games reach to around 90 to 95 degrees Celsius. The crashing experiences I have results in 1 frames every 10 to 15 seconds and clears up during laptop stability around 1 to 2 minutes. I turned coolsense off and that did nothing. Disabling the wireless adapter is not really an option as I rely on the internet for games, and general use.

Reviews suggest the Envy 17 is not suited for gaming at all and does turn into an oven extremely quickly. I used a cooler with 4 fans but that made no difference in temperature at all.