HP Envy Laptop’s power button must be hit many times (from 2-50) to boot with screen on

Apr 23, 2018
HP Envy 15-3247nr

Computer died during update I believe. However now the computer must be restarted manually many times in order to eventually turn the screen on. Fan turns on, disk sounds to be running. When the screen finally does turn on, if I hit the power button on accident, even for a quick second while anticipating another restart, it aborts immediately. However if I hit the button that quickly when the computer turns on but screen remains black, it doesn’t abort for 3-5 seconds. The computer is 5 years old, so I wondered if the mechanism telling the lid it had opened was broke. However I don’t have to reopen the laptop to make the screen work again, I just keep restarting.

Unable to do installation from the desktop because the screen does not come on at restart, and problem isn’t fixed even if I leave it all night to complete, it just stays on. And after attempting a usb clean install, the same restart black screen occurred. Have no idea how to fix this, but have been trying methods for over a month, most of which require successful reboot.