HP ENVY vs Lenovo y410p

jmazz14

Estimable
May 30, 2014
I don't know which laptop is better for me? I want to play some games (DayZ, GTA4, Far Cry 3, and maybe BF3 since it was free) but I don't need everything at max settings (I am not a true gamer).

Would I be better off with a Lenovo y410p (i7-4700MQ and 755m) or an HP ENVY 15 (i7-4700MQ and 840m)? Both have same RAM.

I'm sure gaming performance would be better on the lenovo, but HP advertises more battery life and I could add more upgrades and still get it cheaper. Any advice? I am also taking this to college.

Thanks

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I would get the lenovo. The only other mainstream laptop brands I would ever recommend now would be either Acer or Asus. I've seen/heard too many bad things about Toshiba, HP, and Dell.

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
toshiba and dell? those are good companies, i've owned multiple systems from dell and never really had a problem with them. i would reccomend those two companies anyday. obviously hp is not good. everybody knows that. also, i don't think acer is a good company, but asus should be okay.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

I guess you've gotten lucky with toshiba/dell. I've always known toshiba to be really cheap and break down a lot and dell to be extremely overpriced. Both toshiba and dell made/make laptops that are pretty big/heavy. Dell used to be a really good brand 5-7 years ago. Their desktops used to be top notch. I've had mixed luck with HP over the past 10 years. I'd say their highest point for laptops was around 5 years ago. I really wish they'd reinvest into their voodoo lineup.

I've recently noticed a trend of increasing value/quality from Asian brands. I know the American companies make their stuff in Asia, but they haven't been able to repeat the same level of quality. Acer would be my budget recommendation. Lenovo the mid-range. Asus the top. There's msi too, but that's only for true gaming imo.

CharlieAda123

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014

Dell bought Alienware sooooo...