HP G62 Black screen with flashing caps lock

JoshM11

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Hello, i have an HP G62, i have the black screen at startup, no post can the get into bios, when i start it i hear the fans and hdd spin, but nothing but a red wifi indicator and continuous caps lock flash, doesn't stop and blinks every 3-4 seconds, i have tried taking out hdd and putting it back, tried heating it up inside a towel as suggested tried using one ram module, tried switching ram spots, tried unplugged wireless card ans starting without ram, still same thing, tried using just power cord and tried power cycling by taking battery out and holding power for 30 seconds, any help would be great tried everything i've found and no luck. Thanks a lot

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
In my experience that flashing light is usually associated with a bad motherboard. It sounds like you've tried the basic troubleshooting steps to rule out other issues. Further steps would require other parts to test with (different RAM, possibly even CPU) but I'd guess it's the board.

If you are happy with that older notebook, or simply can't afford to upgrade (and are comfortable attempting such a repair), look under the RAM slots for the HP motherboard model number ("replace with hp spare XXXXXX-XXX) where that number in X's is what you can look for on ebay.

Jun 7, 2018
LIsten ..if anyone says your motherboard is dead or bad motherboard so the person is truly an idiot without knowledge the simple solution is change the CMOS battery (find and buy original one) its cheaper actually, download BIOS update from HP official web by identifying your laptop, (link blow)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops
run this file to a different computer and install into a blank USB (during installation the following software will ask for the USB)
After, insert USB into to your HP G42 notebook, press and hold windows key and letter B key together and the press and hold the power key for 3 seconds and release but keep holding WINDOWS Key + B, your Notebook will start and follow the instruction on the screen to update your bios.
Note in some HP models Letter V key works instead of Letter B key.
Thats it.

JoshM11

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
It ended up being a bad connection from the Screen and motherboard, i had to heat it up in a towel for sometimes an hour + to get it to recconect, took a few tries but try this if you need a solution.

Jun 20, 2018
Did you remove battery when heating up? How did you heat it up?

Grabps

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Hi,
I have got a HP G62 laptop from a client and the problem was the same as You described.
- Not turning on
- Wifi and Power LED was flashing

I did try out the hard reset and the other suggested solutions, but nothing helped me out.
I thought the problem is that the laptop overheats, so I removed the black plastic layer under the VGA cable. The intresting part was when the laptop was disassembled, but the necessery parts were plugged together, I wanted to test if it is working and it DID!

After some tries it turned out the source of the disbehave was a screw, which was holding the DVD drive.
So I changed it to a smaller one and it fixed it!
I guess the screw causes a circuit, but it is just a guess.

I hope it helps You guys out! ;)

Oct 26, 2018

Can you give a little bit more, I have g62, dissassembled on my desk at the moment, normally i just heat it up and it works after. but if you have a solution i'm all ears. I have all the screws and the dvd drive removed from the laptop and the keyboard and power switch just plugged in and still no load.

GuccizBud

Honorable
Mar 1, 2014
[ . . . ] How did you heat it up?

Here's some info on the whole "heat it up" thing.

Your motherboard contains lots of little solder points, and sometimes, after a length of time, little fractures can form in those solder points. Some people will say this happens when a manufacturer uses cheap solder, and I've heard it said that's the case with hp® . . . regardless, any solder which is cracked is a source of potential performance instability, because it's like introducing an on/off switch set to "off" at that point in the circuit. The idea behind heating up the board, then, is to get it warm enough for the solder to start getting soft, to start flowing a little, so that any solder fractures disappear, and so that once the heat is removed and the board cools down again, every solder point becomes one contiguous unit again.

This can be done professionally, in which case it's called a "motherboard reflow"⁠ ⁠— you can try Googling it, and there's a Wikipedia article about it⁠ ⁠— it's a professional job, is done by hand, and you have to know what you're doing.

But what an amateur can do is try his or her luck by simply heating up the whole board as a unit to see if that will do the trick. There are 3 ways this can be done ⁠;  the two that involve stripping the laptop down to the bare motherboard and then heating it up involve using either ( ⁠i.) a heat gun, or ( ⁠ii.) an oven. You can look up both.⁠ The third way, which doesn't require taking the laptop apart, simply makes use of a towel, which I'll describe.

Turn the laptop over and locate the cooling vents . . . these are just parallel slots cut into the plastic chassis on the underside (and sometimes including the side) of the laptop. You want to block those vents using a thick towel, then turn the laptop on, and leave it like that for about 1⁠ ⁠hour. During that hour, the heat generated inside the casing (which is considerable) will be unable to escape because you blocked the exit . . . this will cause the temperature inside to increase enough over an hour's time to cause the solder to soften up, hopefully enough to fix the problem.

A tip for the towel method ⁠᎓  when the hour is up and the towel removed, the laptop should be turned on immediately  to see if it worked⁠, i.e. without waiting for it to cool down. You want to do that because, if it does turn on and then, say, 20 minutes later it doesn't anymore ( ⁠not so unusual ⁠), you will have at least determined with virtual certainty that the problem is indeed the solder points. Had you instead waited, then tried it to no avail, you wouldn't have any indication that what you did helped, even if only temporarily, and you still wouldn't know for sure whether the solder points are the problem.

If you find the towel method did help, but only temporarily, you then have the option of either getting it professionally done or trying to apply more heat ⁠— ⁠perhaps with the oven. In this case, look up the recommended temperature and "cooking time". There's lots of info online about all of this, including the thread below in this very forum⁠ ⁠᎓

Last edited: