HP Laptop charger not charging AND beeping... TWICE

Quixotical

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
So I have an HP ENVY dv6t-7300 CTO Quad Edition Notebook PC, and I've probably had it for a good 4 or five years. It's seen better days, yeah, but it's never stopped working. Then the other day, all of a sudden, it shut off. I realized the charger was not charging, and that whenever it was plugged into the computer, it would make a small whining/squeaking/beeping noise every second or so. I looked on forum posts and decided it must be an adapter issue, so I ordered a new one, which arrived today. I was all ready to see my computer light up again when, lo and behold, it doesn't work. And now the NEW adapter is whining too, albeit a bit faster.

Now I'm not beyond believing the hand of fate ordained that the first time I replace my charger I end up with another lemon, but is it also possible my computer shorted the adapter? And if so, where should I go from here?

Thanks in advance!

Quixotical

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
I tried both; won't charge either way, battery in or out. It was a real charger, so it should be working. I suspect it's the charging jack, is there any reason it would be the motherboard too?

The jack is on the motherboard, maybe a separate card, maybe part of it. If the issue is not the jack part itself, the signal still has to go through the motherboard to the battery connectors.

Quixotical

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

I see. So the issue is either with power intake through the jack, power transfer across the board, or both? That's mighty frustrating. So I might not only need to replace the power jack, but the whole motherboard as well?