HP Laptop Reliability

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I'm about to order an HP dv6tse series for $770 including tax. I've determined that this is the best deal around, as there is a 30% off coupon and a $150 instant rebate. Here are the specs:

2nd generation Intel(R) Dual Core(TM) i5-2410M (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz

1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]

FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

30% OFF! 9-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (over-sized) - Up to 9.75 hours of battery life +++

FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)

My question is, how is the reliability of HP laptops? Is this thing going to last me atleast 3 years or more?

Solution
That really depends on how "lucky" you get. Many people experience issues with HP laptops, many of those issues, are native to hp laptops, HP is also known to have a heat issue with many of their laptops. It is a very good deal. But I'd recommend searching on google for: HP dv6tse problems/issues...

And see what other people are dealing with on the forums that you might run into.

Every computer has it's issues, but HP seems to not care about that factor, and so many of their laptops (except for the business ones) have problems ranging from disconnected VGA cable... to major heating problems.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
That really depends on how "lucky" you get. Many people experience issues with HP laptops, many of those issues, are native to hp laptops, HP is also known to have a heat issue with many of their laptops. It is a very good deal. But I'd recommend searching on google for: HP dv6tse problems/issues...

And see what other people are dealing with on the forums that you might run into.

Every computer has it's issues, but HP seems to not care about that factor, and so many of their laptops (except for the business ones) have problems ranging from disconnected VGA cable... to major heating problems.

Reactions: Hosh Ben
Solution

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I have heard that unless you get the 1080p screen upgrade, the screen on that laptop is pretty bad. Of course, this is just what I saw people saying on another forum, I have never seen one in person. I would wait and see if someone here who owns one of these models can post and give you their opinion.

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks guys for your help. I decided against getting a laptop because I realized that if I use it as much as I use my desktop for gaming and such, it's going to burn out real quick. I'm not about to dish out a thousand bucks for something that will only last about 2 years. Plus you can't upgrade them hah... Thanks again !

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Yeah, they have their uses, but mainly using one for gaming isn't the best idea IMO. Only reason I just got one was for college, so I'll use it for that and light gaming on the side. You can upgrade certain parts, but it's not really worth it. Desktops will always be better for gaming.