HP laptop screen black on boot up but works after external screen is connected

vesnasumanovic

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I couldn't find a problem exactly like this anywhere online so I decided to ask myself hoping someone here could help. I have a problem with HP 250 G3 laptop- it worked without a problem for months and then this weird thing started to happen- when I turn it on the screen quickly shows HP logo and then just turns black. I don't see a Windows 10 welcome screen or the desktop. I know the laptop is working based on sounds and LED lights on it.

I then use an HDMI cable to connect it to my tv and the desktop appears both on the tv and the laptop screen. I can then freely change display options but choosing to display desktop only on the laptop screen leads to black screen again. When I remove the hdmi cable, the laptop screen goes black again.

Only way that works right now for me is to restart the computer while being connected via hdmi to my hdtv. Then I can disconnect the hdmi cable and laptop screen will work as it should.

I checked the drivers for Intel hd graphics and there seems to be no newer version. No updates from HP support assistant fixed the issue and I don't know but I doubt that the laptop screen is broken since it clearly works. It's just a bother to do this entire procedure to start the day.

Another weird problem involves the Ralink RT3290 wifi adapter- when I first turn the laptop on wifi signal is very weak and internet speeds are very low, basically it does not work. Simply restarting the laptop fixes this problem and wifi works fine. Again updating drivers did not help
Here's hoping someone here can offer advice on how to fix these issues.

Hi,

It seems like a hardware problem to me, the graphics card to be exact but please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Next is to check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Do download and install the latest driver once uninstalled.
- For Intel driver here's the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
- Once installed reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect.
- If these doesn't work do also load BIOS and set it to default by pressing F9 once and exit.
- If all these will not work I would suggest taking it for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty.