HP Laptop Won't Start, AC cord light is the only sign of life

bogman3000

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
My HP Pavilion dv6 has made it so far in such poor health. The battery has been dead for a long time so it's been operating plugged in. The actual connection to the screen is getting pretty dodgy.

The laptop was working fine and then I put it down (not hard at all) and the screen buzzed off but all the lights on the laptop where on (caps lock etc). And it hummed quietly but the power button wouldn't turn it off so I removed the power cord and since then it's been completely dead. The light next to the AC adapter comes on but the hdd light does nothing.

Could it be the battery? It always seemed to need the battery in to operate from AC. (I tried unplugging it and doing the power button thing to no avail)

Or is it the screen? Would a faulty screen connection mean the computer does nothing when the power button is pressed?

Please help. I hope it's not the hdd, I need my files.

bogman3000

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
You're right but I've revived it so many times that it will feel like defeat. Either way a new computer is in order but if anyone can help me save this trusty steed from retirement it would be greatly appreciated.

sucedaneo

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Could be a memory related problem. Try reseating the memory module, just remove it from the slot on the motherboard and install it back. Try installing the memory module into the other slot (if it’s available). If you have two memory modules installed, try removing them one by one and start the laptop just with one memory module installed.
If the laptop starts fine with one memory module in both slots, but will not start with the second memory module in both slots, the second memory module is faulty. Replace the module.

A laptop can boot without the screen connected. With a failing screen you can hear the windows init sound .