HP Notebook Stream Stuck in sleep mode, can not hard reset.

Sep 3, 2016
My Notebook Stream 11-r015wm (which I have had for less than 2 months) with a Windows 10 operating system went into sleep mode while I was away from it. When I returned I was unable to either wake the computer back up or shut it down. The screen is black and the power button is lit up as though it is still in sleep mode but as I've said I cannot get the computer to respond to anything I try. I have ALREADY attempted a hard reset but even after nearly 2 minutes of holding the power button down, it will not shut down. When I posted to HP's forums, that's all they would tell me to do, so I repeat, A HARD RESET IS NOT WORKING! I do recall that it was wanting to update something shortly before this happened. Is there anything I can do to get it to shut down, restart, or wake up, short of sending it in? I need the computer for my studies and only have the weekend to fix this before my classes resume.

Solution
Have you tried unplugging it from the charger and pulling the battery? If you don't know how to pull it, there is probably a video somewhere online that can walk you through it. Or, worst case, you can wait for the battery power to drain completely and then it will shut itself down. As long as you don't have it plugged in.

Also, just because the screen is black, but the device is on, doesn't mean it is in sleep mode. It is possible the screen is the problem. But first I would try the above and see if that fixes it.
Have you tried unplugging it from the charger and pulling the battery? If you don't know how to pull it, there is probably a video somewhere online that can walk you through it. Or, worst case, you can wait for the battery power to drain completely and then it will shut itself down. As long as you don't have it plugged in.

Also, just because the screen is black, but the device is on, doesn't mean it is in sleep mode. It is possible the screen is the problem. But first I would try the above and see if that fixes it.

Solution