Solved! HP Omen laptop with GTX 1050ti stuck in power up cycle

Dec 31, 2018
Hello,

A few days ago I upgraded my HP Omen for 12 GB of ram to 24 GB of ram. The installation went smoothly and for several days it has worked perfectly. However last night I was rendering some models in AutoDesk Maya, when the laptop shutoff. When I tried to turn it on, the fans and the hdd spun up, then it shut off again, and just kept repeating this cycle. I took the back of the laptop and reseated the RAM,nothing, tried the old ram, nothing, and made sure everything was plugged in. After putting the new ram back in and making sure everything was connected, it was able to start back up. I continued working in maya, as i figured it may have just been an issue with my installation of the ram originally. About 30 minutes later, the laptop did it again, this time i did some research on the maya forum and found that it was most likely shut down due to my cpu over heating. I decided to leave it off for the night and try again today. This morning it was stuck in the same power cycle. Once every few times i start it up, it gets past the power cycle and just sits at a black screen. I've tried hooking it up to a different monitor to no avail. I've also tried to reseat the ram again, but again nothing. It's just not getting any video signal. I'm now concerned it could be a bigger/more expensive problem.

computer specs
CPU: i7
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 ti
RAM: 24GB
128GB SSD
2TB HDD

let me know if you need anymore details and thanks in advance!