HP Pavilion 15 vs Lenovo y700 - Same price, what to pick? :)

TGRanger2020

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
Hi Friends,

I can buy these laptops at the same price and I wonder which I should choose? The specs are as following:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y700-15 80NV00GMMX:

Intel Core i5, 6300HQ
8 GB, (1 x 8GB)
128 GB, SSD + 1TB HDD
5 400 rpm
GeForce GTX 960M
1 029 MHz, (1097 Mhz Boost Clock)
2 GB, DDR5
Li-Ion, 4-cell, 60Wh
http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=3575320

HP Pavilion 15-BC000no:

15,6" Full HD IPS
Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ
8 GB RAM
1 TB 7200 rpm+ 128 GB SSD
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M 2 GB
http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=3781795

As you can see the specs are similar with the difference that the HP got a faster HD. So, with the same price - which would you choose out of quality and other input? Please enlighten me :)

Hello, Alex:

They look like identical twins, almost. The HP offers the faster-spinning HDD, and also "up to 10.5 hours" of battery life (HP's product page). Lenovo lists 5 hours on Prisjakt.nu. At 2,6kg the Lenovo is a bit heavier than the HP (2,2kg).

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

TGRanger2020

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
Yes, thanks :)

I just want some input of which laptop you guys would choose. Is there any of these 2 models that are known for good/bad quality and so on :)

OK, I rather thought it pointed squarely to the HP ;) But, the HP would be the one I'd go for.

I don't have hands-on experience with the HP, but I do own a Lenovo Y50, which is sort of the precursor to the Y700. My Y50 has a sturdy feel to it and a nice rubberized palm rest. It is heavier than its competitors, and battery life has never been the strong suit of the Y-series. With increased GPU power comes increased heat generation, and Lenovo has some work to do to optimize heat dissipation. The result is that the 4GB GTX 860M unit in my Y50 generates quite a lot of heat from underneath and through the keyboard (around the WASD area). It won't burn you, but you will feel it.

Customer service is another aspect to consider. Lenovo took over IBM's PC Division about 10 years ago and with it a whole support structure aimed exclusively at business clients. As a private customer you may be in for a very frustrating experience if you try to contact Lenovo. They still have a lot to learn about servicing a user segment with vastly different budgets, time schedules and expectations. I don't think Lenovo is unique in this respect (all manufacturers get bad reviews and feedback), but there is still a marked business bias.

I'm a heavy Lenovo user (almost the whole range of consumer products) and I like the Y50. It's been a reliable and surprisingly rugged companion for 2 years now, and shows no sign of fatigue. I would expect the newer generation of Y-series laptops to be improved versions of the Y50 but even so, the HP is still lighter and will offer increased useability owing to better battery life.

I hope that helps,
GreyCatz.