Hp pavilion black screen on startup, caps lock light flashes, wireless light ora

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgsmith119

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
My HP Pavillion stopped working last night. It seems to be in a "hibernate" like state, only I cannot get it back. The wireless light is orange and stays on, and the Caps Lock light is flashing. There are also lights on the side of the device, one is white and the other is orange. Is this a fixable problem, or do I need to take it in for service

mgsmith119

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Thanks, we are taking it in this afternoon.

jp734

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I have a G62-435DX ( AMD CPU/ATi GRAPHICS) model and my problem was the GPU. It was not the CPU per HP's blink error codes as I replaced the CPU and it did not work. The problem is when the laptop gets hot, it messes up the solder connection of the GPU so when I turn it off and the solder gets hard, I get "cold solder". Someone was bright enough from HP forum to think about "using the laptops heat to reheat the solder" and since I don't have the tool to do the job and with nothing to lose, I tried the trick by leaving the laptop on overnight. TAA DAA! IT WORKED! Now I'm going to buy a cooling fan so it will not get too hot for the solder.

oh and yes, HP was going to charge me $280 dollars to fix their design problem. I opened my laptop and it did not have a heatsink compound (thermal paste) on it. It has a piece of rubber between the GPU and that "copper heatsink". Clearly they designed their POS so they can make money on repairs. I say don't buy HP products anymore so they won't make money at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.