HP Pavilion dv2500 shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Sheetz

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
my mother has a HP Pavilion dv2500 that will randomly just shut off. I've tried several start ups with battery in and charger connected, battery alone, charger connected and no battery and it's always the same. computer starts up and just shuts down. screen is working and it will get to the home screen but just shuts off. please help.

Solution
Sounds like it is overheating. Check and make sure your fan is spinning. Also even if it is, dust and debris gets between the laptop van and the heat sink and will keep air from flowing through.

Clayto1332

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Sounds like it is overheating. Check and make sure your fan is spinning. Also even if it is, dust and debris gets between the laptop van and the heat sink and will keep air from flowing through.

Solution

John Sheetz

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
I have checked the fan and it is spinning. I took apart the laptop and cleaned any dust. it really don't stay on long enough to overheat. I just get logged in when it shuts down.

Clayto1332

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Try booting into safe mode. If you can that would mean a program starting with Windows is causing you to "boot loop". We could either find what is causing it and remove it or run a system restore back to before you were having this problem.

If you cannot boot into safe mode either your Windows installation may be corrupt or hard drive may be going out. HP is pretty good about putting hardware diagnostics on their recovery partition. Usually you get to this on HPs by hitting F10 repeatedly when the laptop is booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.