HP pavilion dv6-6c11nr processor upgrade issue

acon2017

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
HI there. I have an HP Pavilion dv6 6c11nr that I wanted to upgrade the seemingly weak a4 dual core that comes in it. So I looked on Hp's website and found that the socket is fs1. So i looked on Ebay for an a8 that had the socket fs1. Now keep in mind on this motherboard it is just like a desktop motherboard you turn a flathead screwdriver and the processor pops out of the socket similar to a desktop processor, so it is fully upgradeable. So I found an a8 5500m processor that is socket fs1. So I bought that and my idiot self was thinking if I take it all apart, put the new one back in with new thermal paste that it would just work because it is the same socket. So that is what I did I took the entire thing apart took me 2 hours put the new thermal paste and processor in and put it all back together. Went to boot it up and the caps lock is flashing steadily, the hp logo lights up and the wifi button on the keyboard and the caps lock flashes. No display or anything. I need to know if I have to take it all apart and put the old processor back in and update the bios then put the new one in or what I need to do because I did not do enough research. Thanks in advanced

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

That is not like a desktop motherboard at all. No desktop board has a locking mechanism like that.

Try disconnecting the coin cell battery for a few minutes first. If clearing the cmos settings doesn't make a difference, then yes, and make sure the BIOS update allows for it.

acon2017

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015

ok you flip up a lever its the same concept. You can release it like a desktop that is what I mean haha

Thank you for the info I will try clearing the cmos