jlu624

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1988874

-or-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-Umber-Brown-17.3-Pavilion-dv7-6b56nr-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-A6-3400M-Processor-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/20666932#rr

The DV6 does have better specs on the CPU and Graphics Card, but does come in smaller screen and smaller resolution
The DV7 has slightly less pecs on the CPU and Graphics Card, but does come in full 1600x900 on a 17in screen.
Both are at the same price, but I do want that bigger resolution, however with better specs.
Would these difference in specs on the CPU and Graphics make a big difference overall?
Any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
One thing in favor of the DV7 (at least my DV7-6163, but I think your example uses the same chassis) is that it has two HDD/SSD bays. Think about having a laptop with the speed of a SSD, storage of a HDD, and utility of DVD, all at the same time without external adapters. Intel's IGP is not nearly as powerful by itself as AMD's offerings but with a Core-i7QM, mine is getting a playable 30-40fps in WoW at fair settings.
The 17" display is very nice but to be honest, I noticed the smaller size of the keyboard on a friend's 16" Toshiba much more than I noticed the smaller display.
One thing I did notice about the DV7 in the service manual is that only the i7 versions could manage 16GB of RAM. AMD and i3/i5 models were limited to 8GB.

jlu624

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
True, my favor is torwards the Dv7 side, but I'm still not sure if the specs on the Dv6 and Dv7 will make a big enough difference?
I'm trying to have it last a few years and don't really plan to play games on it except for League of Legends and maybe BF3 (i'm find on low settings)
All I'm worried about is the difference in CPU and the Graphics, and if the difference is big enough to affect the performance level.
Cause i do really like the 17 inch screen with the 1600x900 res