HP Pavilion DV6 - Pale Blue Screen with Active Cursor after Log-on and Welcome Screen - hangs for 3-5 minutes

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
OK here is my problem.

I have a (my kid’s) HP Pavilion DV6-7002ax (aka dv6z-7000 (AMD-A10-4600M) using Win 7 (64) Home Premium and it has lately (last few weeks) developed a weird “blue screen with active cursor” hanging habit.

After you log-on and the welcome screen pops up with the spinning circle and then before the desktop displays it switched to displaying a pale blue screen, with active mouse cursor.

Up to that “blue screen” point, after logging on, the “boot” is slow but normal, based upon my experience with this HP Pavilion.

This blue screen delay/hanging lasts around 3 – 5 minutes and then the desktop loads and all is well.

I have searched the web and found many references to black and blue screens with active cursor related to HP Laptops but I have not found a real solution that has fixed my problem.

Apart from just wait and wonder!

Suggestions I have tried include;
1. Scanned with Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti- Malware, SUPERAntispyware (including in Safe Mode)
2. Specialty Scan with AdwareCleaner, rkill, TDssKiller, CCleaner
3. Registry Clean and Defrag with Wise Registry Cleaner
4. F5 > F8 > System Repairs Tools > Repair Startup (HP Pavilion has partition for System Repair)
5. F10 BIOS – no issues that I can find
6. Command Prompt > sfc scannow (System File Checker)
7. Completed Full Disk Check C: > Properties > Tools > Disk Check
8. Alt + Control + Delete when blue screen appears > switched to taks manager and after cancel back to either black or pale blue screen

HELP!

Solution
Interesting. I'm expecting this is a driver or software problem since it only happens specifically during boot. Try starting in safe mode to see what happens. Have the drivers been updated recently, or has anything been installed/updated recently that runs on startup?

P.S. I believe that laptop was one of the ones that potentially shipped with the defective AC Adapters, if you're not aware: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04404446&cc=au&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5267551

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Interesting. I'm expecting this is a driver or software problem since it only happens specifically during boot. Try starting in safe mode to see what happens. Have the drivers been updated recently, or has anything been installed/updated recently that runs on startup?

P.S. I believe that laptop was one of the ones that potentially shipped with the defective AC Adapters, if you're not aware: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04404446&cc=au&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5267551

Solution

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for getting back.

Checked the HP Pavilion Power Cord and our show LS-18 (faulty one's are LS-15) thanks for the heads up on that though.

I will have to check what HP Drivers etc have been updated - the Pavilion is my kid's.

Checked Autoruns and Startup with System Explorer but I will go over them again.

Back after some more homework.

Thanks again.

The3monitors

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Sounds to me like your kid's installed something. That isnt good.
If I were you I would format the thing and start new.
Go into your registry (run> regedit)
Hkey_local_machine/software/Microsoft/windows/currentversion/ in here /run and run once key folders should be available.
Go into the run first and delete everything.
Go into the run once directory and make sure it just has the default key in it.
Now here's the tricky part.
If you reboot and you get errors on top of errors than you have a virii. That run key is supposed to be empty at all times. You more than likely will have to redo the thing. But what good is an fed up computer anyway.

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Sorry for being slow to get back.

I ran the Pavilion in Safe Mode and the Desktop loads normally - no pale blue "limbo" for 1 - 3 minutes.

Ran a msconfig Boot Log and apart from a block of this,

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS

showing up once in the Log I have no idea how to interpret the rest.

Checked with Device Manager and could not find any rogue Network Drivers.

Also ran scf /scannow from an Adinistrator Command Prompt and the scan reported that there were a few items that is could not fix. So I checked the Log but could not make hide nor hair of it and it gave me a headache.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I am still trying.

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

I will get hold of the Pavilion and take a look at the Reg Keys as soon as I can.

At this stage I'd rather accept the slow boot-up than start all over again with a virgin Pavilion, if that is the only choice.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Or you could just take a look at the startup programs and services and see if there's anything out of the ordinary that way. Much easier and safer than messing with the registry. Use msconfig and jot down all the non-microsoft services and startups, then go through and disable anything potentially unsafe or anything not essential that may be the cause of the problem. Just avoid disabling anything by Intel, nvidia, AMD, or HP to start, focusing instead on stuff that's been downloaded and installed.

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Hi,

I have previously used msconfig to run a diagnostic boot but that did not seem to have much success in shortening the pale blue screen with active cursor time - unlike a Safe Boot.

On the start-up item i will take a look at the Registry Key and outside of that I will run over the Start-Up list again and trim it down to bare minimum and see what happens.

Probably will not be back until Monday - but I will be back.

Thanks to all for the assistance so far.

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
OK Every One,

Two maybe related things.

1) Normally our house hold wifi at the Router is turned on in the day time and early evenings as we have multiple devices and users using it. It is turned off at last one up bedtime.

This morning however it was off at the Router but on on the Pavilion when I booted the Pavilion and the pale blue screen was not there.

So I turned on the wifi at the Router and it was back. Wifi off gone, wifi on back?

Interestingly if I leave the Router wifi on and turn the wifi off on the Pavilion the boot is slightly slower with the desktop appearing with task bar, some icons then background and the everything compared to the Router wifi being off and the Pavilion wifi on when the desktop appears almost instantaneously after the welcome screen.

2) Based upon other advice I checked the registry (regedit) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>Run and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>Runonce.

I understand that Runonce should be empty but in the Pavilion's case it includes this;

> ab NCPLuginUpdate REG_SZ "C\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\ActiveCheck\product_line\NC...

So, could it be the case that when connected to the wifi this HP Health Check Key is activated and causes the pale blue screen with active cursor, occasional twirling circle and several addresses to the dvd drive?

During the pale blue limbo phase the Pavilion seems to be doing something?

Interested in everyone's thoughts and I guess whether I should delete the HP Health Check Key from Runonce?

Turning off the wifi onboard the Pavilion or on the Router would seemingly work but would be avoiding the issue I think.

Onwards forever onwards.

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Sorry,

Quick update for the mistake I made in my rush to get this out.

The key I looked at the regedit was actually,

Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Runonce.

I forgot to include the CurentVersion bit.

I also looked into

Quote:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Runonce

Oops.

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for drapacioli's input but that was not the actual solution.

I checked the AC Adapter against the link posted and our HP Pavilion was not one of those listed.

In the end I ended cloning and replacing the HDD and replacing the RAM. The machine is now a little faster with the "blue screen" lasting for 30-60 seconds most days, other it can be 15-30 seconds.

Don't know what it was or is caused by but the only option left would be a complete re-install of the OS. That will not happen as of now.

Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions. Great Forum.

laopa

mhartwill

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
Hi my name is Mike
I to have a HP Pavillion G6 and I am experiencing the same problem Laopa above and I have tried everything mentioned above except. for cloning and replacing the HHD and replacing the RAM. If there are no other suggestions I guess I will be doing the same. Any suggestions. Mike

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

laopa

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Hi Mike,

Sorry but I found no real 100% Solution. I replaced the HDD (which I Cloned) and the RAM and the "blue screen" delay has gotten slightly better but it is still slow to complete the "boot" and final arrival at the Windows Desktop.

If I add this to the ongoing "fan noise/racket" on cold days and all the problems I had replacing the crappy Single Band WiFi Card with a Dual Band WiFi Card and the Total Lack of Interest and Support by HP in any of these problems I would have to admit that I would never buy another HP Laptop if my life depended on it!

Don't bother with the HP Support Forums as they are dominated by HP sycophants who only spruik info from the published manuals and are seemingly driven by their desire to climb the pseudo Academic HP Forum Ladder, based upon the number of responses they post, irrespective of there value or usefulness.

Good Luck.