HP Pavilion DV9000 keyboard ribbon-re attachment

zulux

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hello and many thanks for viewing this,Today I am repairing a HP Pavilion laptop GPU with the reflow technique,which I learned from this site(God I love this website)and while installing the OS found that the keyboard was not working. So after trying several (many many) times to reattach the ribbon,I did manage to get [FF]..but have not gotten it to work since,I have blown out the ribbon connection with compressed air and then lightly swabbed both ribbon end and connecter with Isopropaphol and when neither had any effect gave both a quick swab with WD40. I believe the ribbon is as far as it will go into the connection,any tips advice would be very very welcome thanks again.

iedgar10

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
If it's all the way in, you should BARELY be able to see the metal connectors on the ribbon. If you can clearly see them then you probably have to put the ribbon further in.

Try an external keyboard, if it works then maybe you damaged the ribbon somehow.

Do you have the reflow link you used? Did you just use flux and heat gun or did you actually reball the gpu?

edit:
if you can't tell if it's in all the way or not, let me know and i'll take a picture of one. I'm currenlty working on a dv9000 myself.

zulux

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Firstly thanks for responding,I dont have the link..I began a thread 'my first reflow please advice'and I got some great advice from a lot of great guys,I used a black and decker paint stripper and I performed the Reflow 3 times and the third time worked (i remember one person said 'give the graphic chip a tiny tap when the heat is shut off' and I think thats what did it for me I went for 14 minutes at 206c the third time, previously I had the temp at 200c for 12minutes.I did not use flux at any time, yours zulux

iedgar10

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Glad you got all the help you needed! :)
Be easy on the laptop though! Only heat, in my opinion, isn't really a permanent solution but it'll last if you take care of the laptop, keep the vents clean, and maybe even use a cooling pad.

zulux

Honorable
May 14, 2012

I cant plug exteral keyboard in mine are wireless,I would love to do that.could you send a photo please? many thanks

zulux

Honorable
May 14, 2012

I new that people were saying Reflows last about 3months and reball was the way to go,but I'm a real noob and have just loved the process and the learning, talking to people who were knowledgable and kind and actually being succesful,I mean it doesnt get better than that.The laptop was my sisters and she took it to be repaired and they said it would cost £225 so she should just buy a new one..so I got to play with it :D

iedgar10

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
by the time i read this the laptop was no longer in my hands :(

Did you ever fix it?
Even if your keyboard is wireless it should work... if it's dongle wireless. Not sure if bluetooth keyboards work without having to boot into to OS.

Also, from what I remember on this specific laptop, if you pulled out the little brown bar that holds to keyboard ribbon cable in place BEFORE you try to insert the cable it is almost impossible to not feel once the cable has gone in far enough. Just remember to pull the brown bar out (little brown squares on the edges of the cable entrance).

If your keyboard still isn't working then the keyboard is probably bad. I'm not sure if you could've heated the laptop too much on your reflow and damaged something on the board itself... maybe someone who knows a lot more about specific soldered on motherboard parts can help. But what i would do is simply order a keyboard off ebay and try it.... they're like 15$ delivered in most cases.

zulux

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Hello friend,yes I finally realised I could use wireless keyboard and mouse,I just assumed I could not for some reason-it was you that jogged me into trying..thanks for that.The problem I had was the touchpad ribbon was'nt re-attaching I had lost or broke (can't remember now) the brown clip,and after trying unsuccesfully for about two weeks..using tweezers-two pairs of tweezers-splints above and below the ribbon and still nothing worked.I found a man in Nevada who sell's ribbons of the right spec but they are much sturdier than the HP ribbon's ..and he said 'HP ribbons don't like to go back in again once they have been removed' and then it was obvious my ribbon was soft by now and quite chewed up-I did get a replacement ribbon after about a wek of struggling with it but that was too flimsy also.So now I am waiting for this new ribbon to arrive should'nt be too long now.The keyboard ribbon attachment was an error on my part,I was Jamming it too far in it seem's,I just needed to pull it out slightly and then it works! So i will be tape'ing the ribbons down and think they will be okay even without the clips.Apart from that the laptop is running very well Temps are acceptable ..apart from a couple of niggles,HP don't provide support for windows 7 on this model so some driver's are missing and Bios update is out of the question..Do keep in touch,are you American?like almost everybody seem's to be on this website.I am English and a lover and defender of America and all thing's American, people, history,places but mainly the American people,all the best for now Dave Dale

Chiga

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hi

Finally have you managed to fix the keyboard problem?
Because I have same laptop with same problem.
I had reflowed the gpu like you, and the keyboard stopped to work properly.
So I'm wonder did you found the solution?

Thx

Robert

Chiga

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
HI

The keyboard has a ribon cabel.
There is a small lock on the mainboard's connecetor.
I have tried with the other keyboard but the problem is same.
Some keys are working and some not.

Rgds

Robert