Solved! New keyboard causes bleeping during start-up on HP Pavilion G6

Memo X

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Hi there.

If just installed a new keyboard on a HP Pavilion G6 2121so because several of the buttons on the old were not working. I tried removing dust and crumbs, checking the physical connection, uninstalling the keyboard driver, etc. Nothing worked, so I purchased a new keyboard specifically for this model.

The problem is as follows:

I inserted the new keyboard double checking the connector band as well.

1) After turning on the power the laptop starts emitting a continous bleeping sound, then after a while a get a screen where I can choose between loading windows 7 (OS is Windows 7 Ultimate) or selecting a system memory test. The beeping then stops. The screen is then flashing between these options at the same rate as the beeping sound. It only stops when pressing a button. At this point whatever it registeres as an input determines what it selects of the two options, but choosing between the two options after this, with the arrow keys, does not work. I can however press F8 to choose between various boot options, which works, or choose to press Esc, which works. Pressing Esc just starts the whole process again

2) When Windows finally loads the beeping sound continues for a while, then stops. I see a red indicator light on an F key that turns white at this stage. When windows is loaded I see a flashing at the menu bar, as if i was holding down an arrow key. Pressing a button stops this. From this point on everything is fine, except for one time when checking the keyboard in Wordpad, where the cursor suddently raced across the screen.

Things if tried so far:

Memory test
Debugging Mode Start Up
Uninstalling the keyboard driver, rebooting
Windows Update

The time it task from powering on to windows loading has decreased, but the problem persists.

It is af if someone is holding down one of the buttons on the keyboard.

Help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Sometimes even new keyboard tend to have faults. I would still recommend testing with a another keyboard. If the issue persists even after replacing the keyboard, then the issue is coming from the system board. have it checked for corrosion or replaced to resolve the issue.

dexterwiz

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Sometimes even new keyboard tend to have faults. I would still recommend testing with a another keyboard. If the issue persists even after replacing the keyboard, then the issue is coming from the system board. have it checked for corrosion or replaced to resolve the issue.

Solution