Solved! HP Pavilion G4-1318DX No Boot

MuzzyDeath

Estimable
Jul 16, 2015
As stated, my HP Pavilion G4-1318dx will turn on, but the screen stays black, not off, black. The f12 key does have its amber light on, and the power light is on. However, I am looking to find a way to know for sure if the CPU is out or if it is the main board, I have done every option that does not involve replacing parts. This includes taking apart the laptop to the bare minimums and running it without success. So, my question is if there is a way to know for sure what the error is or what hardware is defective. Ask if you need anymore information and I'll be glad to answer. Thank you!

Solution
most likely not the CPU. CPUs don't go bad very often at all. although, could very well be something other than the motherboard, too. but most likely it's the muthabored

dangus

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
most likely not the CPU. CPUs don't go bad very often at all. although, could very well be something other than the motherboard, too. but most likely it's the muthabored

Solution

MuzzyDeath

Estimable
Jul 16, 2015

I did take the laptop apart and checked the processor, it did not visibly look damaged, but I have no other CPU's that fit the mobile layout connection, but I would like a way to know for sure, because I did receive a CPU fan error before the laptop broke, but I fixed the fan and it lasted a week before locking up.

dangus

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
you whouldnt usually be able to see physical damage to a processor most of the time. especially if that CPU is soldered to the MB. i dont think yours is but either way...a sandy bridge pentium would throttle and shut down before any heat damage would occur. they're designed specifically to do that. if it's not soldered (which i don't think it is since it's a PGA socket) you have to buy a compatible PGA988 CPU to test. this sounds like a waste of time and resources to me though. we're talking about a laptop from...2011 if i'm correct? if its the motherboard that's the problem, a quick look tells me that MBs for that specific laptop are not easy to come by and definitely not worth spending the money on. sorry but i think you're in for a new laptop (yay for upgrades!!!)

MuzzyDeath

Estimable
Jul 16, 2015

I actually did buy a new laptop! :wahoo: However, I really do like this laptop because, like you assumed correctly, it has a removable CPU, and almost everything else in the laptop is modular! However, if there is no way to test it, then I guess I'll just have to let it sit until I find a replacement part! Yet, if there ever is another way to test it, I hope I find it! :bounce: