Status
Not open for further replies.

lappytoppy

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
Hi all,
I have a HP Pavilion g6. When I press the power button I hear the fan start, the power light shows solid white, the WiFi light shows solid orange and the caps lock shows a white light that blinks in intervals of one, however all I get is a black screen. I read somewhere online that if you open the lid so its more than 90 degrees to the keyboard and then press the power button it should work. I tried it and it worked!! This lasted for a day or two and now its back to the black screen and the lights behaving in the same way as I previous described. After reading about blinking codes on the HP website it states that one blink equals the CPU not working correctly.

If this is the case would it have worked for a couple days (as it did)?

Can anybody help me please

wolverine96

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
When you say "open the lid so its more than 90 degrees," do you mean the case side panel? If so, that is really weird. How does it work if you completely remove the side panel?

wolverine96

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
When you turn it on, is it like it actually starts up, only you can't see anything? Do you hear any welcome sound play? Can you turn Caps Lock on and off, or does it just keep blinking, like you said?

If opening the screen further fixed it, I have to think the problem is in the screen.

Is the laptop still under warranty?

lappytoppy

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
When I switch it on I hear the fan start up (quite loudly) for a few seconds and then it calms down. I hear no welcome sound and the screen appears the same as it does when its switched off. When I press the caps lock it remains blinking in intervals of one. When I started opening the screen past 90 degrees and it worked I thought maybe it was an issue with the screen or a loose connection but since reading about the blinking codes on the HP site and blinking in intervals of one means the CPU is not working properly I am confused!!

The laptop is out of warranty.

wolverine96

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
Since the laptop is out of warranty, I would take it apart and see if there is maybe a loose connection or something. I have heard of problems where the little button that tells the computer when the screen is closed can get stuck.
However, if, as you say, the CPU is bad, you will need to take a look at that. Check to see if it is soldered to the motherboard. If it is, you cannot replace it.

Hi, the problem is not the lid switch, when you open the lid more than 90 degree, you push a bad connection. Verify if your CPU is in a socket, and if it is, remove the heatsink and unlock the socket, remove carefully the CPU, put it back and lock the socket. Before installing the heatsink, remove the old paste, and put a new one. Maybe this will not solve your problem, but it's a start. If the CPU is soldered on the motherboard, just remove the heatsink, clean it, put a new paste, and see if you have the same problem.

Bill_59

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

Had the same problem.. Replaced motherboard, same result.... Just for the heck of it checked the Hard Drive (it was bad and caused the hang up) Once hard drive was replaced all was right with the world.\

Edward_66

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
I have same problem. Computer is 6years old. I called HP tech. They think it is CPU or motherboard when light blinks every second. I even took battery out to see if it was that. It was not. They rec. getting computer checked out by staples or PC Richard to see how much CPU would cost. If costs too much then buy new PC. One blink pe sec is CPU/motherboard. 2 blinks is bios. 4 blinks or steady is memory. Call HP tech support

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I have the same problem. I can't believe how poorly these HP notebooks were. Are they any different today? In my case, my laptop's battery started to not hold a full charge and every time upon boot I got a bios error message to that effect. I hardly used this laptop. My sister has the same laptop and got hers is a bit older than mine and her battery just runs fine.

Then a few weeks ago I got the same problem. HP blinking code dictionary suggests this is a CPU issue. I think it is. CPUs should last almost forever if you don't overclock and run your laptop in "HP recommended" mode. It's obviously not worth it to get a replacement CPU and it's a PIA to replace it too on a laptop.

I am going to take this lesson and never buy HP again. I will use the parts of my laptop and replace as necessary with my sister's. I removed the hard drive so I will retrieve my data from there. Not impressed with HP at all.

GamingMonster

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
First take out the charger then pull out the battery under the laptop and then put it back in and put the charger back in and it will work again btw this just happened to me and I done this and now it works again

Status
Not open for further replies.