HP Pavilion Laptop - Plugged in, not charging.

madman19979

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
So I've got a Pavilion with an indicator adjacent to the AC jack that shines orange when charging, and white when full. The thing is, I recently bought a brand new AC adapter to use with it, but when I plug it in, it'll charge the battery for about half a second before the indicator light goes from orange to white. When I hover over the battery icon in the system tray though, it'll tell me something like "56% plugged in, not charging."

I've read up on quite a few threads about this exact same thing, and it seems every single one just ends up having the same solution where you boot up the laptop without the battery and delete some Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery thingy. The problem is, for some reason the laptop refuses to boot up without the battery in place. I'll press the power button, hear some things starting to move around inside the laptop before it abruptly stops.

The battery charges just fine with other chargers (those other chargers having the exact same input and output voltages of 100-240V and 19.5V), just for some reason this one in particular won't work. It doesn't work with my older sister's pavilion either. The indicator light just flashes white for a split-second and disappears. Her laptop doesn't even register that it's plugged in.

I find it a little hard to believe that the problem is actually with the adapter though because I bought it just a couple weeks ago and it's an official HP product. Help?