Solved! HP Power Supply.. 5V == 3A / 9V == 3A / 12V == 3A / 15V == 3A

Nov 10, 2020
Hi! I am new here! Great forum!!

I am using a HP Chromebook 14.. this model: 14-ca051wm

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06083140

The power supply has just gone bad...

Its output ratings specifically say : 5V == 3A / 9V == 3A / 12V == 3A / 15V == 3A.. 45W Max

Can I get any 12V == 3A or 15V ==3A power supply as a replacement?

or do I need to get a power supply with those specific ratings?

BTW, I don't need fast charging..

thanks for your help

Solution
It appears you can get identical replacements from Amazon for not too much money. There seems to be a number of reviews that complain about the reliability of the HP original supplies as well as the replacement supplies. I also looked at USB-C charging and found that using the supplied cable is important as not all USB cables will work for charging. Good luck!
Is the connector (on the laptop) just a single pin and an outer contact? Any power supplies with ratings like that I've ever seen are multiple outputs. It is certainly straightforward to design a powersupply inside the laptop to accept a range of voltages, it really makes no sense. Your safest route is to buy a new adapter from HP.

Can you take pictures of the adapter showing the information sticker and a picture looking into the end of the connector?

Nov 10, 2020
thanks, it's just USB-c connector...

O1CN01iBa6NH1hQABaqHogq_!!34194271.jpg

It appears you can get identical replacements from Amazon for not too much money. There seems to be a number of reviews that complain about the reliability of the HP original supplies as well as the replacement supplies. I also looked at USB-C charging and found that using the supplied cable is important as not all USB cables will work for charging. Good luck!

Solution