HP TM2 discrete graphics problems - mobility radeon HD5450

nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
hi guys,

have spent 3 days trying to sort this out using official HP drivers, and official ATI drivers. Neither are working for some weird reason.

Now the TM2 has switchable graphics which means that i can choose to run the mobo intel graphics to save battery, or use the ATi HD5450 for gaming/etc.

Recently the HD5450 doesnt show up on the Device manager, nor can I switch between the two. So on advice from tabletpcreview forums, which is a forum dedicated to tablets like the TM2, i uninstalled the catalyst software/drivers , and the intel drivers. Rebooterd, and then reinstalled the ATI then the intel. solves nothing. It reverts back to the intel workingn fine but the Ati still not appearing. Its showing up in EVEREST home edition though.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? im slightly paranoid that the card might be broken.... on my newish laptop too

Its particularly annoying since the intel graphics doesnt support HDMI, so cant hook up to my external monitor (42" tv) nor can I game since the intel is not powerful enough.

I had a similar issue with my Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 with a nVidia GT 550m video card. About 3 weeks after receiving it the GT 550m stopped responding. I was able to resolve it by re-installing Windows 7. It's been about 6 or 7 weeks since that happened and so far so good.

I guess it is a quirk with laptops that has switchable graphics.

nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
well.

the repair didnt do anything to fix my problem.

time to go drastic. annoying that a fresh vanilla reinstall is considered the "fix".

Currently backing up using Windows Backup and Restore. Have a question: is the backup data accessable to beable to copy over chosen stuff etc? or is it an 'all-or-nothing' restore deal? aka if i do a fresh install, then 'restore' my data.... does the problem come back aka it restores drivers, windwos, registry etc? or does it just restore like my users info etc?

no comformtable with the reinstalling as of yet - so gonna be backing up another way too - any suggestions?

nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
well now its changed to permanantly on the ATi card instead of stuck on intel.

I havent reinstalled windows - mainly because its such a pain since this laptop is a touchscreen and pen tablet and has tons of custom software.

Can anyone please help with the switchable grpahics problems? Im happy to use older drivers, but cant find any that work. My laptop is the Tm2-2003tx model.

Thanks in advance