HP TouchPads Fly Off Shelves Thanks to $99 Firesale

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I ordered one for $107, then got a confirmation, then got a cancel mail. :(

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]The problem isn't the os but the slow hardware behind it.[/citation]

what a moron.

next time if u don't know something, might as well shut up. easier for everybody.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I can't help but wonder if HP would have been financially better off just selling these things at the $99/$149 price point and taking the losses while the build a vibrant, growing ecosystem that would attract developers.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
The only reason to get one is to use it as is, or to put android on it.. Being that its discontinued, developers wont bother making apps for it.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I tried on Saturday but after I'd get one into my online cart, either the site would crash or go out of stock. On HP's site, I got to the Submit button after 40 minutes of site errors, only for the site to fail then. I hit the back button and reclicked Submit 3 button times, risking placing 4 orders but I got none. Oh well.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]strangely enough its the number one seller on amazon even though their still priced above $300. some people just dont know....[/citation]
They had a gold box deal for $99/150.

louno

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
yeah sold out everywhere, lightning fast...

I hope other companies, apple especially, are watching... see how FAST you can sell your stupid tablets if only you dont put a ridiculous price on them...

Tablets are not essential, their just cool gadget to have laying around the house... 1 in the toilet, 1 in the bedroom to check some stuff and fall asleep ... u know casual tablets, oups you dropped it and smashed the glass !? no biggie, just get another one at the dollar store.

Tablets should be cheap... they are not cellphones, they are not laptops, they are not desktops... they are kinda like netbooks but less usefull for work still.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
" see how FAST you can sell your stupid tablets if only you dont put a ridiculous price on them..."

The numbers I read were that HP produced a total of 250k units. Very few of them were sold before Friday [I've read 25k], so it sounds as though by selling the tablets for like $300 below BoM costs, they were able to sell about 225k in 2 days.

Does anyone remember how many tablets Apple sold in the first 2 days on the market with the iPad and iPad2, at 5x the price?? I'm pretty sure those numbers are in the millions...

flyordie

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
WebOS market share will increase with 1 mil units after this sale. Developers will start working on more apps for it. If you check the specs touchpad > iPad2 . It also supports flash.
Since its kernel is linux bases the developers will be able to put Andorid on it and they working on it right now, a lot of people on several forums will donate for those who succeed.

G

Why newegg is selling them at full price? Im kinda thinking of buying one, but I really don't have $100 to fork over.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]" see how FAST you can sell your stupid tablets if only you dont put a ridiculous price on them..."The numbers I read were that HP produced a total of 250k units. Very few of them were sold before Friday [I've read 25k], so it sounds as though by selling the tablets for like $300 below BoM costs, they were able to sell about 225k in 2 days.Does anyone remember how many tablets Apple sold in the first 2 days on the market with the iPad and iPad2, at 5x the price?? I'm pretty sure those numbers are in the millions...[/citation]
They didn't have Apple's iPhone/iPod eco system in place to spur demand. As an underdog with lots of resources, the 2nd entrant into the market needed to take a different approach. Yes, it may be 300 under BOM now, but what about in a year? And how much would they take 'off the top' from app sales for a single platform tablet (like the iPad) with a unique OS? Google isn't doing it. They have serious development decentralization issues from all the HW configs.

HP had something here. They just went about it wrong. At they could have done it at 200 bux, and it STILL would have sold like hot-cakes...

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Apple has already sold over 30M iPads. Even if HP had decided that it is worth losing $300 per unit [and that excludes non-material costs, like the $1.2B they spent buying Palm for the OS and all R&D], then even getting to 10% of the iPad sales, they'd be taking a billion dollar loss on the hardware alone.

They are way too far back to make a serious dent in marketshare without losing far more money than they'd recoup IF they could build up a good PAID app store.

Status
Not open for further replies.