HP TouchPads Fly Off Shelves Thanks to $99 Firesale

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Looks like the BoM is more like $306, so 3M units sold at $99/149, might mean more like a $500-700M loss on materials, still probably too big to be made up in any reasonable amount of time.

Can anyone find anything that suggests that they produced any more than about a quarter million total units?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Sorry for the rapid-fire posting... but the following link suggests that the numbers I read were BestBuy alone [not sure if that would include their Canadian variants as well]

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/08/16/hp.may.have.sold.9pc.of.touch.pads.at.best.buy/

G

I have 2 coming from HP. I ordered them at midnight(PST) saturday night and managed to place my order . By sunday morning, only 32gb was left. I got the order confirmation monday morning.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Hell, I thought of getting one but all Best Buy's in this whole province of BC was sold out. My friend lined up at HP store at 10am PDT but there were 600 people on the waiting list.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I have a comment... Toms, why did you not warn about the fire sale? You had an article pondering the possibility of it ending up in the landfill and then this one... I knew too late, and can't get my hands on one now

G

Scored me a 32GB here in Australia, they were out of 16s at Harvey Norman, the news went on the Harveys site at about 2pm and they were sold out half an hour later. Now just waiting for Android although I must say I'm impressed by WebOS. Just needs more app support behind it

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]I have a comment... Toms, why did you not warn about the fire sale? You had an article pondering the possibility of it ending up in the landfill and then this one... I knew too late, and can't get my hands on one now[/citation]

Don't blame Toms for missing it, it was all over the news on dozens of sites and tv.. blame the rock you seem to live under.

G

Got mine after arguing with Radioshack that they had no right to charge $550 for the 32GB on Saturday, when everyone got the memo except their sleeping General Managers. Got the last one in the SFV. Installed Govnah and Preware and it rocks at 1.5GHz

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
WOW... at that price I would have actually bought one. Unfortunately I didn't know about this until reading this article. But I bet I can get a cheap one on eBay now! :)

G

Where's Devin Conners? After his article a year ago about how HP was going to be a big player in this tablet war http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/165-HP-Palm-Smartphones.html and all the Apple haters predicting that HP was gonna kick Apples butt, suddenly there's silence.

And people here are trying to snatch up TouchPads as fast as they can. Do you guys not realize that you wont be able to get apps for TouchPads and an Android port may only be vapor? Even if the Android port is true it may be really crappy, you'll have little or no support and in a year you'll be buying an iPad anyway.

Don't bother buying TouchPads. If you are that cheap save your money and just buy paper legal pads and disposable pens.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Sold out everywhere I went yesterday. Too bad, I was really looking forward to a cheap tablet! I just don't want one enough to justify a $300+ purchase.

G

I work at bestbuy Canada and the phones have been ringing all weekend with people wanting one. we were sold out district wide Friday night. If any one is wondering Best Buy will honor there 2 and 3 year warranty's on the touchpad. so you don't have to worry about a loss of money for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.