HP: webOS Will Be Better Than Android, iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I actually prefer webOS to android I have a touchpad which dual boots and i only use android for the app market. I love the multi tasking on webOS, i actually cant live without it anymore

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"She even suggested that Android may ultimately be more closed in the future thanks to Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility."
She missed this boat here; there are plenty of custom ROMs, apps and tweaks around to prove her wrong. Motorola, yes, they like to put chastity belts on their phones, but the rest are wide open. that only means that Moto phones may be "closed", not Android as a platform.
Even with Moto being so, devs at XDA are pretty good with them locks...

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Of course they'll say that, would someone really say that they are going to release a product that cannot match or be on par with their competitors. My case and point: AMD likely knew they couldn't beat Intel with Bulldozer but that didn't stop them from marketing it like it could.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
It may end up being better than Android. That OS is fracturing all over the place. She should work on the PC side of things more though. It's really bad when you are the largest PC manufacturer in the world, and still can't make a profit at it.

G

Good to know webOS will be better. A more fundamental question is when will this happend. The mobile market is one that changes very quickly and dramatically, something Nokia and Microsoft seem to keep forgetting (to some degree this holds true for Apple as well).

So: When? When will I be able to buy a webOS device? Q2/12, Q3/12, Q4/12, 2013? People want to buy a webOS device *now*.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
"But the fact is, the world can probably use one more operating system." every company says the same.
"Meg Whitman said that webOS will be better than Android and iOS." BETTER like in what? so abstract.

funny article. she doesn't even known what she's talking about yet she receives millions of dollars for saying it.

G

house70 - This is a ridiculous statement, this is the same site that I regularly see apple bagged for not being open and requiring a Jailbreak to be usable (never mind the fact that I had to root my android to allow the tethering that iphones support out of the box).

Yet the same people will sit there and argue that Android will always be open (Despite google now owning Moto) because there will always be ways to ways to hack it so that makes it open.

LOL

Android upgrades etc are so all over the place with most manufacturing culling support for phones within two years and the experience being totally different on every device. Personally I'm loving the competition that we now have with all of these companies having to go out of the way to woo us. And webos as opensource like a great alternative.

Is it just me or are Android users more sheep like than Apple users? Certainly seem just as closed minded. Kind of reminds me of goths, soooo desperate not to conform that they do the complete opposite and they become even more laughably associated and clone like than those that they argue are sheep. Good one guys.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Multitasking on android sucks. There is no real way to minimize things, you just back out of them to get back to the home screen, and they show up on the task list if they want to. If you go back in to the app you were running, it may or may not attempt to restore its previous state, wasting time and bandwidth reloading everything from the net if it uses it. And if you don't have a net connection at that point...

This is especially the case for the browser, which sucks.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
for me, webos 3 js better than android (including android 4)

it just has a more functional UI. It makes better use of the limited screen space, eg the space wasting button bar crap at the bottom of the screen, is replaced by simple gestures

it currently has the best keyboard (it actually has a number row)

settings and other options are easier to get to (less clicking)

The UI is just overall better compared to android and the ios. The only thing really lacking is the app selection

I originally got the touchpad during the firesale in the hopes of getting android installed, but now I hardly use android, webos is just overall better for me at least.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
if hp could have released android app support like in the playbook, then improved the tablet a bit, eg not jumping directly to the ipad style price tag
and also added a rear facing camera, along with usb host and a micro sd card slot, then it would have been successful. The hp touchpad tablet is overall better than the ipad 2 in terms of features (better speakers (probably the best speakers of any tablet currently on the market), faster CPU when overclocked (overclocks to 1.83GHz for both cores), 1GB RAM)

while the tablet is great, HP should have never tried to price it similarly to the ipad (no one will buy a product in it's first entry into the market when a well established and supported device can be had for the same price)

now that the os is open source, it stands a good chance at becoming widely adopted. Remember, a ui can make or break an os. (just look at linux compared to windows and understand that PC gamers are a minority. Linux wins out on just about everything except the UI. Microsoft has done well to provide a UI that is simple and command like free for about 99.9% of things that a user would want to do, while also allowing for more advanced things if the user desires.

on linux the average user will eventually come across the limitations of the app and end up frustrated over the stupid stupid tar.gz files, or end up with non intuitive commands when a tar.gz app fails because the user did not run the other 10 commands to install dependencies

all in all, the user experience is one of the most important aspects of an OS

G

I like WebOS far better than android and IOS, but, its lack of access to the app market is its weakness. It may be too late to catch up, but after using the TouchPad, I hope it finds its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.