ronaldhefner

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
My HP ac-15 121dx laptop is about a year old, and it keeps losing its wireless signal and connection to the Internet. Happens several times a day. The device manager says the wireless adapter is working properly. I went to the diagnostics mode today and did a total system check. Everything passed.

When I get the little yellow triangle with the exclamation point down on the taskbar, I go to troubleshooting, and it invariably says it has to reset the wireless adapter. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I have to re-start the machine to fix the problem.

My modem is a Motorola Surfbord and my router is an Apple AirPort. There's no need to reset either of them, because when this happens, both my wife's laptop and our Roku are getting full Internet signals.

I'm reluctant to go through all the hassle of calling HP tech support, even though I have an extended warranty. It takes forever, on the phone for an hour with someone whose accent you can barely understand, and they frequently misdiagnose the problem. I'm hoping somebody here has a quick fix.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ronaldhefner

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

Thanks. There was one driver update available, which I did yesterday.

As to uninstalling / reinstalling the "WIFI connection information," there is a program called Realtek Wireless LAN Driver." Is that what you're talking about? The wireless adapter is a Realtek.

Thanks.

ronaldhefner

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

OK. Well. when I got the machine, it automatically detected the router and modem and installed the drivers. I'm not sure about "connection information." Can you tell me where to look?

I have rebooted both the modem and router numerous times. It doesn't seem to help.

Device manager and HP diagnostics both insist that the wireless adapter is working properly. Yet today, it has lost the Internet signal a dozen times.

Excuse my ignorance! I'm somewhat tech-savvy, but not a lot!

You would need to go into "Control Panel" and then "Network and Sharing Center". In there first try using the "Troubleshoot Problems" link. It may well fix this for you. Just follow the prompts.

Also, you say it is dropping, so it is connecting but then losing the connection, that can be a host of things, your internet, the modem, the router, the computer, etc.

To remove the connection information you would, on that same "Network and Sharing Center" screen, click "Connect or Disconnect".

ronaldhefner

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

I'm familiar with Network and Sharing. I've tried connecting and disconnecting several times. The problem persists.

The modem and router are fine because the other wireless devices in the house (my wife's laptop, Roku) are working OK.

Sounds like it's time to call HP tech support and get ready for an hour and a half session with some guy I can barely understand!

Thanks for the reply.