HP ZBook Keyboard pressing random keys if two or more specific keys pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
This is an odd issue that I have not found anyone else having. I am not sure as to the cause of it.

Basically, when I press certain pairs of keys, the computer acts as though another key is being pressed as well.
Some examples:
q+s: qws
w+d: wed
r+y: ryu
k+u: kui
l+i: lio

There are others, as well as ones with 3 keys triggering a fourth. They follow no general pattern (although wd, qs, ku, and li are the same pattern on the keyboard, that pattern doesn't cause a similar response on other keys, like ef, rg, th, yj, etc.)

This problem has persisted as long as I have had this laptop. I got it used on Amazon. It said that, in terms of condition, it just had a few minor scratches and such, which is accurate.

This occurs every time the keys are pressed at the same time (in fact, typing this, I was constantly having to correct typos such as "lioke" and such)

Solution
If it won't work when you make the replacement, it is possible there is a damaged connection on the motherboard as well. The best I can suggest to you is have a tech look at it at this point.
NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then disconnect the external keyboard and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

Unfortunately, reinstalling the keyboard drivers did not help, but using an external keyboard did. However, my only external keyboard that I could find has multiple damaged keys.

Windows said the Synaptics driver was up-to-date

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
[strike]Finally fixed it. Not sure what happened. I just ran the "Hardware and Devices" troubleshooting that I found in Control Panel, and it fixed it while I wasn't looking. When it finished, it said that "Hardware changes may not have been detected", and now it is working.[/strike]

EDIT:

Not actually fixed. Just not every time now. Perhaps I will try again.

EDIT 2:

Tried again, troubleshooter gave the same result.
Did a bit more experimentation as well, and found that now the extra key is only pressed if the two buttons are held.

Have to admit it is odd, however the keyboard either having something stuck in it, liquid or having damage would cause it to act like that.

The only other thing I could think of would be malware or a virus, but then those would still be a problem when using an external keyboard as well.

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

Another odd thing is, not all of the key combos that do this are near each other. For instance, pressing t and p simultaneously does this with r.

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
I can understand nearby keys doing it with that, such as w and d pressing e, but not far away keys like t and p. They are halfway across the keyboard from each other, so it seems like closer keys should have a similar interaction with them, but they don't. In fact, it is very precise combinations that create these results. My dad suggested that the ribbon cable being out of alignment could cause it.

Closer doesn't mean connected. It is not unusual for a laptop keyboard to have keys go out in odd positions. Checking the connection is a good step. A loose connection can also give such odd results. Again showing how close the keys are wouldn't matter. It depends on how they laid out the connections on that layer of the keyboard. And where the lack of connection is occurring. If checking the cable it is best to not just wiggle to see if it is loose, but to disconnect it and reconnect it.

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

I am not sure what to do at this point. I tried a lot, including getting a new laptop keyboard, and I am still having this issue. Same keys.

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

I am not sure what to do at this point. I tried a lot, including getting a new laptop keyboard, and I am still having this issue. Same keys.

greatnessof42

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

Apr 14, 2018
My situation is similar (zBook 15)...
When I type "l" followed by "i", I always get an additional "o". This only happens when I type quickly.
Example - typing "line" will always come out as "lione".
This has been happening for months now - I've just learned that I have to type slowly when using "l" and "i" in combination.

I'll try some of the suggestions mentioned here.

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.