HTC Announces 2 New 'Desirable' Android Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Let me make this clear...

The dual-core ARM's, and next iteration of the Android OS, will blow your minds. These phones are great, but they are pretty much the same as everything else out there. Wait for the next generation and you will be glad you did.

I almost bought a Droid X, but at the last moment decided to root my Eris and flash it with KaosFroyo v34. I'm at 787Mhz and I couldn't be happier. Granted I might not have the GPU of the current-gen phones, but I have more than enough speed. ;)

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Good that they're finally upgrading the internal storage to something slightly less ridiculous. The original HTC Desire only has 512MB. I have 18MB free on my device at the moment. Not all apps can be moved to the SD-card. But why not make it 16 or even 32GB while they're at it? 1.5GB is still not a lot.

I would hold off buying a new phone until dual-core starts appearing. Apart from the shrink to 45nm, this is still basically the same 2008 1GHz Snapdragon CPU as before.

yelped

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
If you pay close attention, this is NOT the same Snapdragon that was used in the older phones. The model used in these phones, even the 800Mhz one, outperforms the old 1Ghz Snapdragons. Not to mention, that these use the new Adreno 205 GPU which is about 4 times faster than the old Adreno 200 used in the previous Snapdragon iterations, making it almost matching the Samsung Hummingbird in speed.

This is what I understand from other news posts.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
For those people complaining about the CPUs used in these phones, like the poster said previously that these are newer processors and GPUs which perform a fair bit better than the ones currently used in HTC phones.

Don't rule out these phones until you see hands on reviews/benchmarks and try them yourself.

G

I have both Samsung Wave and SE xperia x10 and there is a serious performance gap between both the devices. The hummingbird really outperforms the snapdragon.. BUT.. it could be because of the OS also.. obviously the BADA os is lighter than the android..

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]coffee_man[/nom]damnnn, i just bought my desire. this sucks every time a buy a new phone the next day there is a better one.[/citation]
And if you waited for this phone instead a better one than that would arrive 5 minutes after you bought it as well.
Face it, by the time an average user gets to the end of a 12 month phone contract the device is a dinosaur.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]yelped[/nom]If you pay close attention, this is NOT the same Snapdragon that was used in the older phones. The model used in these phones, even the 800Mhz one, outperforms the old 1Ghz Snapdragons. Not to mention, that these use the new Adreno 205 GPU which is about 4 times faster than the old Adreno 200 used in the previous Snapdragon iterations, making it almost matching the Samsung Hummingbird in speed. This is what I understand from other news posts.[/citation]

I said it was "basically" the same CPU (Qualcomm refers to both as the "Scorpion" CPU). Very little was done to enhance the performance of the CPU part of the package. It's possibly slightly faster, but it's not like an entirely new generation by far.

The GPU is indeed faster (41 million tri/s), but not as fast the Hummingbird's GPU (90mi). But without tactile controls, playing 3D games on a touch screen isn't exactly ideal, which is probably why there are very few such games in the Market.

It's a stopgap filler SoC, and one you really should skip unless you absolutely need a phone now. The HD is not a bad phone, and the 45nm process should help extend battery life (although HTC cut the capacity from 1400 mAh to 1230 mAh).

The truly next generation phones will feature dual 1.5 GHz cores (theoretically three times the performance of the Desire HD), and the performance of the GPU will once again be doubled to 88M tri/s. Such phones will probably ship with 1 to 1.5GB of RAM (keeping more cores and a faster GPU fed with data requires more RAM). Unfortunately, they will probably be too late for the fall/xmas shopping season.

G

There's also the little issue of the Sense UI "Refresh", will the Desire be getting this update?

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Technology for people who do not do anything inovative and useful in the field of IT. Who needs another 'computer' in the pocket. Perhaps i am old fashioned but i believe we don't need anything more then PC at home.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.