HTC Desire Finally Gets Gingerbread (Only for Experts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
A lot of people prefer the plain vanilla Android OS instead of the custom UI. I don't see this as a loss. Nexus 1 has had GB for a while with full functionality. If some independent devs out there can cook a variety of fully functioning ROMs based on the same GB, I don't understand why manufacturers can not do the same for their own products. After all, Desire is N1 in terms of hardware.
Maybe they just need to hire the right people to do the job.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
It's hardly for experts, all you have to do is ahve the sync software installed. Download the updater app, hook up your phone and click 3 buttons. Then wait 10min for it to flash your phone.

Did it with my unbranded desire about 3 hrs ago without an issue.
So far I have things running faster, smoother and with a hell of a lot more storage space on the internal memory than i did with 2.2 Froyo.

Hate to say it but HTC may have pulled their finger out after all on his one.
We shall see if im as happy in a week or 2 of testing / use though.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I should point out though that mine is a GSM unbranded Desire with the AMOLED screen, no idea if the LED or CDMA phones will have issues

G

has anyone yet done this with an aussie telstra phone , and if so have there been any issues with MMS,SMS. could could be just the thing to get rid of the HELSTRA crapware that annoys the shit out of me

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
THe update should remove all network branding + apps. The sms/mms issue is due to the ROM not having a default network provider list of numbers for message centers.
If need be you can enter that manually in the message settings anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.