HTC Moving Away From Physical Keyboards on Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Please no, everyone else has, I can't stand touch screen keyboards yet. In fact, I'm tempted to just go back to the original LG Rumor.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Considering market demand calls for smartphones without keyboards, fans of tangible controls are just going to have to grin and bear it.

or vote with out walltes and not buy it. ot even get a small blu tooth case that has a keyboard on it already...

i know some people alreay hate how thin phones are and how uncomfortable they are to use as a phone that they get over sized cases.

take a credit card, and hold it to your face. is that reall comfortable?

you also have to keep in mind that speakers and mics keep getting lower quality as phones get thinner too... i would pay 200$ for a old non smart phone if it had decent speaker and mic on it.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
But i love my Desire Z :( I love being able to text people without looking at my phone. Though it does make sense, after years of using on-screen keyboards most people should be amazing at typing on the screen,

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
No, please don't say its true. Htc made some of the best physical keyboards on phones. The g1 and the g2 have awesome physical keyboards.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
This would have been news in 2008, I think. Given the choice between a sliding hardware keyboard or bigger battery in the same form factor, I would always go for the battery. Catherine has it right: Swype does a great job of alleviating the lack of a hardware keyboard.

And just for the record: virtual keyboards were not introduced by the iPhone. They were used long before in PDAs. Sure, typing was harder, but that had to do with the technology of the time. My devices used to have resistive touchscreens, as I recall.

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]This would have been news in 2008, I think. Given the choice between a sliding hardware keyboard or bigger battery in the same form factor, I would always go for the battery. Catherine has it right: Swype does a great job of alleviating the lack of a hardware keyboard.And just for the record: virtual keyboards were not introduced by the iPhone. They were used long before in PDAs. Sure, typing was harder, but that had to do with the technology of the time. My devices used to have resistive touchscreens, as I recall.[/citation]

I also hate it when people and articles make it sound like Apple invented the smartphone, when in fact they had been around well before that. Virtual keyboard, touch screens, front facing camera, video calls, the ability to download apps, listen to music all have been around for about 10 years but yet people give all the credit to apple.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
This is what I don't understand. These mobile device companies are always complaining about wanting to differentiate their products from their competitors yet it seems like all they do is follow in Apple's shadow. If I had wanted an iPhone I would have bought an iPhone. I do not want an iPhone I want something different. One of my main gripes about the iPhone is the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, hell it is my main gripe about most smart phones. Why out of all the phones in Verizon's line up there is only one phone with a QWERTY keyboard is beyond me (DROID). Almost every other Android phone in the Verizon store is a carbon copy the only difference is the updated hardware. I want something different, a QWERTY keyboard for starters. If these companies want to be the best then stop following in the footsteps of Apple and innovate.

nancy00

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I also hate it when people and articles make it sound like Apple invented the smartphone, when in fact they had been around well before that
Hardware.gif

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the design is not what makes the iphone popular, it may be an iconic design but it is not the reason why people buy it.

People buy it because of the apps and the UI.

While it is not by any means a great UI (it has a lot that can be improved upon) it is extremely good for a mobile device.

There is also the fact that the iOS was the first to start the smartphone craze so it has a leg up on the number of apps and user base.

For example, you can create a social network that is better than facebook but it wont beat facebook because so many are already using it.

Also a very popular accessory for the iphone, is the case with built in bluetooth keyboard.
People want keyboards and it is not hard to make a keyboard thinner.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I'm still trying to understand how people can't use, or prefer virtual keyboards. The best excuse I see is "I have fat fingers" - well that's cool, but you use your finger TIPS. If you're pressing your fingers completely flat on the surface, then you're failing. Regardless, get used to it, because this is the future - fight it all you may, but you'll end up being the 70 year old, who is completely computer and technology illiterate.[/citation]

o yay, i want to pres buttons fast, my thumb tip is as big as 4 letters on an ipod touch keyboard, and half the time i cant switch it to a horizontal keyboard, so im forced to use a keyboard, that is what 2 inches by 1 inch at BEST, and halve to acutally concentrate on what im typing, where as with tactical feel, after 1-2 weeks i could more or less autopilot it...

digital only keyboards are a collosal mistake, and are only commonplace because of this retarded thin war that apple started and everyone else, STUPIDLY joined in.

this digital only crap will stop somewhat soon however, though not soon enough, when eye movement and reading what you are looking at becomes more advanced, possibly even voice (on system hardware, not through a server) and if there is a god, biometrics that can tell what you want... granted i'm about 5 years off on the voice, about 10-15 on the eye, and probably up to 30 on the biometrics, but those will come, and digital input will die.

there is even a possibility, that with a head mount phone, think futurama but a real world equivilant, if advanced enough, it could feed your nerves with tactical feal, even if typing in air.

thank god i never have to get use to digital only, as the tech is GOING to die.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
My last physical keys phone was a err...some Nokia model 8xxx i think...my first touchscreen phone was the Nokia Express 5800...it has resistive screen, kinda suck...but i never look back since. Physcial keyboard has no place in my future. People complaining about phone manufacturers dumping physical keyboard...well, just get on with it or buy a Blackberry (which will probably close shop soon anyway..enjoy while you can).

vrocker

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Silly HTC... I can see you disappearing soon...
First you say 'nobody wants a big battery life' then 'nobody wants a qwerty'. Take it you've never used one of the phones you create?

One of my requirements for a phone is a hardware qwerty that doesn't suck (blackberry keyboards suck major ass). I have had hardware qwertys since 2005 with my HTC Wizard, which has been my backup phone for the last 4 years due to its resilience.

I really don't get how people can use on screen keyboards, i have tried swype on Android and was not impressed, i have also tried using the on screen kb on my windows phone and always revert to sliding the keyboard out.

Guess its just another case of manufacturers following the trends that the evil company (cr)Apple set

G

I have begged HTC to produce a modern one of these...

http://www.gsmarena.com/o2_xda_exec-1279.php

I had one, used it non stop, and till today has been the best device I have ever owned. The only drawback was Windows Mobile running on it.

The size was perfect, the Keypad a stroke of pure brilliance, the form factor absolutely genius!

I would hand over £1000 on contract (24 Mnths) for a modern version of this, with Quad core, ICS, and a modern size screen.

Boy do I miss my XDA EXEC!

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Having a physical keyboard is the primary reason I bought a Droid 4. Having to deal with the virtual keyboards sounds like a nightmare. I've tried them, and personally, I hate them. I can text a lot faster and more accurate with the physical keys. I'll be quite sad if/when manufacturers completely do away with them on cellphones.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Still miss my Pre for this very reason. typing is so much more unnatural without a keyboard, but the landscape keyboards make typing a pain when you constantly have to change the way you're holding the device. I got used to a touchscreen on my nexus, but it's no where near as comfortable or accurate as a physical kb

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS