HTC Responds to Apple's iPhone Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The sense media player looks a hell of a lot like cover flow... Not that copying software ideas is anything new but a couple of those sense features raised an eyebrow as to how boldly they ripped off the iPhone UI.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
i have been an iphone user for about 6-7 months now and its the best phone ive ever had, however, i needed to jailbreak it just to get the functionality i wanted out of it (which apple actively is trying to circumvent), i like how android and HTC doesn't force you into a sandbox environment. I can't wait until android has matured beyond that of the closed apple iphone os.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]Didn't apple lose this same argument vs. M$ 20 years ago?[/citation]

Except now apple has $20 billion to spend on lawyers. HTC is done for.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
htc isnt the little company everyone thinks they are... they are the 4th largest smartphone maker in the world.. and they have the support of m$ and google... if htc gets shaken by this ill be very supprised.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I dunno how Apple were even granted those patents. Multitouch... not an Apple invention. Clickable icons... not an Apple invention. Picture button to unlock a device... not an Apple invention.

Juice... not an Apple invention. Iraq's WMD... not an Apple invention.

The US Patent office ought to be ashamed of itself.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Except now apple has $20 billion to spend on lawyers. HTC is done for.[/citation]
Just cause the HTC name hasn't been well known till recently does not mean it is a small company, it is rather big and has the support of many big companies that rely on it for their products. HTC will not go down at all, doubt it will even bother them.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Except now apple has $20 billion to spend on lawyers. HTC is done for.[/citation]

No, because when they fought MS, they lost in court with the court saying you cannot trademark or patent "a look". If HTC can show that their technology is different, but looks the same, Apple won't win due to precidence.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Apple really just needs to fall off the face of the earth.[/citation]
Now now,, if apple did that, who would come up with the idea of he cool multi-touch multimedia cell phone with tilting accelerometer and proximity sensor along with pinch zoom interface? I mean palm and blackberry had 12 years to come out with a touch phone that didn't require a stylus... Now thanks to apple, Android was invented and every phone is a touch phone.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Seems like everyone is suing everyone these days for infringement or some other reason. Personally, I prefer apple's touchscreen over HTCs. My mom has a G1 and my dad bought a Nexus One recently, and despite the Nexus's speed advantage, the my FIRST GEN iPhone still has a more organic and natural feel to it. And that's after using my parents' phones for a long, long time. Now, I'm no apple fanboy, so please don't blast me for that. I'm just saying I prefer the feel of the iPhone's touchscreen interface.

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
May be worth mentioning that googles comment on this (was on engadget) is that they support their os (android) and its hardware manufacturers (this includes HTC), so i think HTC may have googles help on this - not sure in what sense (no pun intended), but this could be in the form of lawyers or something if HTC cant handle it (i cant see why not)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Unless Google decides to step up. If HTC loses this it could be used as precedent against other android phones in future cases (similar to worlds.com going after NCSoft instead of Blizzard).

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
90% chance this will be thrown out the door. If this goes thru and becomes a precedent of future lawsuits, say hello to monopoly.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This just proves that Apple feels the heat, and rather than produce a *gasp* better product, they just sue the competition. What a bunch of fuckheads.

HTC FTW.

raskarpas

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I think that besides the legal issue, which as was mentioned above is ridiculous, it's great PR for HTC.
BTW, I just love my HTC Hero. Wouldn't change it for iPhone for sure.
HTC FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.