HTPC + Home Server

ideaman924

Estimable
May 1, 2015
Hello!

I'm trying to build a low-cost, I repeat, a low-cost HTPC and a home server.

In case that doesn't make sense...

Server OS (handles streaming stuff, uses Plex or XBMC, also use AFP or SMB to stream to PCs)
|
---> XBMC or Plex client, connected via HDMI to a TV

Okay, so now, I have two questions;

1. What should I use for the server OS? [strike]This should NEVER cost me anything...(but a buck or two is okay). I'm thinking on Windows Server 2012, but it's too....simple and it's just not customizable.[/strike] Actually, money...less is better, but if something's more worth it, then yes. Although FreeNAS needs tons of RAM and hard drive space to even fluctuate.

2. If I chose that particular server OS, what kind of specification would I need? My needs are: streaming to 2-5 devices at the same time, fast file transfer (so NIC would be preferable, but it has to be cheap), constant backup through Crashplan headless server setup.

Thanks in advance!

ideaman924

Estimable
May 1, 2015

If you meant ubuntu server....no. Sorry, but I just hate terminal (once a month would be fine) but then if I had to go in there every single day to see the server stats, I'll just bowl over.
Ubuntu...there's no easy GUI for easy server control. I tried it.
Something with GUI on it to control it. Like WS2012 or FreeNAS or Amahi (but this costs a lot)
Anyway I could also go with WS2012 because it comes with my Dreamspark license.

ideaman924

Estimable
May 1, 2015
Can someone recommend me a low cost build? Preferably around 200 dollars. It should contain at least two hard drives for RAID, and it doesn't matter if the hard drive sucks, I'm going to keep swapping it out if it fails. It should be mini-itx mobo and case with 4-6 hotswap bays for future upgrades.