HTPC - No Sound via HDMI (To AMP or TV)

2pro4sho

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hi all. I spent the last 2 days trouble shooting and have still not solved the problem of no sound via HDMI from my new HTPC build. I am running Win 8.1 Pro.

Firstly, I am planning to use on-board video and sound as the HTPC will only be used for playing media. I am using a Gigabyte Z87M-D3HP motherboard and a 1150 socket Haswell i5 4570T processor. I may plan to get a video card at a later stage for occasional gaming.

I was under the impression that the motherboard can do sound output via HDMI. Here are the audio specs for it:

Realtek® ALC892 codec
High Definition Audio
2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
Support for S/PDIF Out

I get no sound via HDMI to either the AMP or the TV directly. I have also tried 2 different HDMI cables so I am pretty confident the TV/AMP/HDMI cable is not the problem. When I plug headphones into the HTPC I get sound fine. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the latest Realtek drivers. I have tried them directly from Realtek as well as the latest from Gigabyte. When I check/try to set the output devices it says digital HDMI output is disconnected. I have also looked through the BIOS settings and the only option for audio is already enabled.

Anyone have any ideas or need more info?

clutchc

Distinguished
The HDMI port will rely on the CPU's on-die GPU for its graphics. So any sound via the HDMI port will come from the on-die GPU if it has such. What processor do you have? And if you are getting sound through the speaker jacks, you must have the Windows Sound set for speakers. You would have to switch that to the HDMI port's source to hear sound from the HDMI port.