Hulu May Begin Charging Fees Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshd_89

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Well then, I'll just have to go to the other million free sites that host ALL shows and not just the few special networks hulu does, with the same if not better quality and no stupid ad inserts.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Headline shortly after that...."Hulu gets federal financing to keep it going during the bankruptcy process"

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Who would pay to watch tv online? Only reason I watch tv online is to catch a show I missed. If I didn't watch it online, I wouldn't watch the show at all. If I wanted to pay for a tv show, I'd buy the dvd set.

troger555

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Someone else will get something free going again and take the spot light. Otherwise the bittorrents will be in full demand like they are not already. Its ashame, I purchased Playon to stream this and netflix to my ps3 and it was nice being able to watch 1980's HE-MAN :)

krashnicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
The only way I would pay for Hulu is if they offered a lot more content such as complete season of all current shows. If I could watch any episode of my favorite shows such as the Simpsons or Family Guy on demand I would consider paying for something like that. Hulu right now is not worth a monthly fee. If the money they generate from advertising is not enough then I don't want their service.

So will abc, nbc, fox, and cbs remove all of the free content on there individual websites?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
“I think a free model is a very difficult way to capture the value of our content," Carey said. "I think what we need to do is deliver that content to consumers in a way where they will appreciate the value. Hulu concurs with that, it needs to evolve to have a meaningful subscription model as part of its business.”

what an ass hole make it sound liek this is a great thing pftt

Point being hulu already ahs advertising so this is BULLSHIT, if theyw ant to charge they better loose teh fucking ads on thier videos

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Sure you can make us pay Hulu...when you up your quality. 480p w/ commercials just doesn't do it for a monthly fee. Oh and I better see ALL seasons of the shows on there. Not just 1 or 2.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Whenever they have a DVR-type system and HD quality to compete with the other commercial offerings on satellite and cable, they might be an option.

They offer neither at this time.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Hulu is using the drug dealer's marketing plan: Get a bunch of idiots hooked, then charge them for a fix. I did find something hilarious in this article:
The news shouldn't be surprising, as Hollywood and television networks currently scramble for revenue thanks to piracy and changing viewer habits.

No, it is because these assholes are only putting out horrible, useless shit. The television and movie industry both seem to have reached a plateau, similar to the music industry. They pour out horrid bullshit and cry when people steal it. Most people that pirate music and videos would not pay for the content they are downloading.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I wouldn't mind paying for Hulu if it was accompanied by the ads being removed. If the ads stay, though, no one will buy it.

That's actually an interesting concept. They could have both. Free service with ads, or pay to have them removed. The same content should be availible to both sets of users, though.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Free services is what the internet is all about. Unless you are providing something really, really good, people just won't pay for it. That's why most people are ok with minimal ads to cover costs (although the ads on here are starting to drive me crazy, dropping down and covering articles, and popping up everywhere...but I digress).

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
they will go out of business if they do this.

It is very easy for people to download tv shows for free and with out the ads. but they move to hulu because it is free but ad supported but instant on demand.

I pay for cable tv and have DVR and get the same shows on the DVR the only problem is I like watching tv while using the computer and I like all of the sound to come through my headphones. with hulu I can do this which is more convenient, but I have no problem with grabbign a small snack then taking some time off to sit in front of the tv and watch the recorded tv show on the dvr (with the added benefit of the content not being a week behind like hulu in many cases and I can skip commercials)

compared to what I have, hulu is not worth it.

there online and there many sites offering free viewing of tv shows. you cant charge for tv shows and not even give the quality and promptness of the free services. if you want to charge for something, it has to be better than the free stuff

a week late and 480p is not value when there charging for the service. especially when many other sites and tv groups are offering the same shows commerical free and 1080I (which is encoded in 1080p to get rid of the interlacing, and ready for watching within an hour of the show on tv ending)
if hulu wants to charge then they need to increase their quality to at least 720P and have the shows available for watching the moment they become available on tv and also keep all episodes up (because their current assholeness is removing the shows after a few weeks so if you want to get into a new show, you cant, for example there many shows that I want to start watching but I cant because hulu only has like 5-10 episode of the show that has over 70 episodes

hulu is just becoming greedy.

a better option will be a subscription where you pay a monthly fee and get to watch the shows with no ads

Status
Not open for further replies.