Hulu Plus Launches with Xbox, PS3, iPad Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I enjoy Hulu and all it has to offer, but I hardly utilize my Netflix subscription so this would be another $10 down the drain for me.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I doubt this will be available for me in Canada (normal Hulu isn't)... even though I own a PS3.

Come on Hulu!! Open up to Canada already! :mad:

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
If it had no ads, I'd be interested, what with the X-Files and other shows I'd like to watch on there. But paying $10 and getting ads seems kind of sad. Though, on the other hand, $10 isn't much, and you get ads on your TV for more in the first place. So... Not sure. My Internet sucks enough it's not worth it anyway.

G

Canada gets screwed by the crtc. A useless government organization that gets paid off by the big cable companies to not allow anything that doesn't stream through a Canadian network website. Rubbish!

mel_gibson_

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Pay for TV episodes when I can download them on BitTorrent for free AND with no ads? Obviously, there is a large supply of airplane glue at Hulu corporate.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I actually see this in perspective.
Depending on the amount they're offering, you're pretty much getting cable on demand for 10 dollars a month. That's not THAT bad a deal when you consider that cablecos are still charging quadruple that for extended, not even digital, cable.
So it depends on your habits.

If you're satisfied with watching whatever's on Netflix, that's fine. It's probably what I'll do actually. Most of Netflix's streaming content is garbage though.
If you're content with renting/buying seasons on DVD, that's cool too. Not everything's on DVD though.
If you can catch what you like on Hulu's free service, they aren't taking it away, so do that.
If you really like channel surfing and knowing you have 400 channels when you watch 5, enjoying paying for that.
This is just another option. Don't like it, don't buy it. I'm waiting for them to really expand their library before I'm willing to pay. I'll be impressed when they have entire network lineups up and we can finally ditch cable once and for all.

I mean, seriously, what do you people expect? Entire series for free on demand? The networks are charging them to keep this content, they also need servers to store all the extra content they're now keeping, and the connections to properly stream it. Advertising paid for the free service, but it won't pay for this extra burden that holding onto so much extra content brings. I really don't think the Hulu execs are going to be buying gold plated toilets on 10 dollars a month.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
If you have dish or cable you pretty much have the same thing (ad-supported subscription) except you get live content. I get the over the air HD, but still no good solution for other live channels. If Hulu could let me pay per channel for live stations and stream them over my broadband I would be in, but I won't subscribe to any TV.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I think I'd need to see what content is offered first... Hulu does have some good stuff but if it would be $10 per month, I'd expect something worth paying for like tons of full series' like 24, x files, etc where you can watch any of them.

G

For $4.99 with no-ads I would sign up in a heart beat. I might even do it with 1 ad per show, as a small 10 second interstitial half way in between, but they would have to offer basically anything I can get on primetime immediately, like the shows they already mention (family guy, the office), in HD. It would also help if they could penetrate the set-top box market like netflix has. I have a Netflix enabled LG bluray player and it's great.

But $10 for ads, although unsure of how many, is over the line.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
...second thinking here. Everyday millions PAY for cable TV and get 10 times the ads during every commercial break. Hulu ads are typical 15-30 seconds long and in fact I saw one the other night that gave me the choice, watch ONE 2 minute ad now and see the episode (of the Lost series) commercial free or watch mini-ads throughout normally. I chose the 2 minutes, took a biological break and enjoyed the entire show without interruption. I think I'll take the ads compared to subscribing to cable... and I'll probably subscribe when it comes to the 360... Wondering though if the 10 bucks will apply to the "family pack" xbox live subscription MS will offer or do i have to subscribe on each xbox (i have 2).

G

No way in hell am I going to PAY and STILL get ads. Pass thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.