Humidity and Laptop

Darkiush

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
I was wondering how humidity could damage my laptop: I keep an Asus n56 vv on my desk next to a little fish tanks, and I have done so for almost a year.
Now that the temperatures here are decreasing and I had to heat the aquarium I noticed some condensation on its top.
The tank itself is "half open".
Should I move the tank?

Solution
The humidity will cause any exposed metals in the laptop to corrode faster. But it should not cause it to short out, because the inside of your laptop is too warm for condensation to take place there, unless the condensation outside accumulates to the point where it floods the insides...

Or you could place a large flat metal object over the top of your tanks, so that most of the water that evaporates will condense under the cold metal before escaping into the room. Of course, have it raised so that it doesn't block air flow and suffocate the tank.

huilun02

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
The humidity will cause any exposed metals in the laptop to corrode faster. But it should not cause it to short out, because the inside of your laptop is too warm for condensation to take place there, unless the condensation outside accumulates to the point where it floods the insides...

Or you could place a large flat metal object over the top of your tanks, so that most of the water that evaporates will condense under the cold metal before escaping into the room. Of course, have it raised so that it doesn't block air flow and suffocate the tank.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS