Hunch PC is compromised. How do I eliminate any possiblity of malware on it?

hrdwre

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
After reading this article, I've become concerned that my planned restoration to factory settings of my Y500, using the "Lenovo Button", will not be sufficient to be sure there is nothing still lurking on it.

My question is: how do I get rid of any threat, software, firmware and hardware?

I'm willing to go to great lengths as far as time is concerned, however I'm a bit dumb, so if intensive reading is involved, I probably won't be able to take advantage of anything dense and/or long.

Perhaps are there some free live DVDs/CDs that can clear everything beyond a reasonable doubt?

Thanks in advance!

hrdwre

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013

Thanks for your reply.

Windows 8.

I'm sorry but I have to be blunt: it doesn't matter what symptoms I'm experiencing because I want to have absolute certainty (or the closest thing I can get to that) that there is nothing malicious or even passively in my system that should not be there. The steps should be the same for any windows 8 Lenovo Y500 laptop.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
well for starters do a scan with your antivirus to see if it picks anything up.then download,update and run a scan with malwarebytes.in both cases delete anything they come up with and post both logfiles.once i see the logfiles i will have a better idea on how to proceed.

hrdwre

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013

Hi again, thanks for the reply, they are all much appreciated.

I don't know how else to explain this to you.

I'm not trying to eliminate a specific threat. I am trying to eliminate ALL possibilities of threats on everything from the OS to the BIOS to the firmware.

The process should be universal across my OS and Laptop type.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
there is no universal anything as far as malware goes.there is no magic wand to wave and no single program to use.i see i was under the mistaken idea that you needed help,when in fact you seem to know all there is about it.im here to help people that actually need it.im sure you will do just fine on your own.