Hurray: Copy/Paste Coming to Windows Phone 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]ldskgk[/nom]I have never ever had a need to copy and paste on my phone. EVER.[/citation]

Sounds like you dont take advantage of what a smart phone is actually capable of. Probably relegating it to playing stupid game and have never tried to do anything remotely productive.

G

I find all the comments about C/P, media cards being missing amusing. Yes it's annoying but WP7 is a sandboxed OS, meaning that there is no direct communication between apps. Implementing a cohesive and secure C&P is difficult hence why they put it on hold. At the moment they have contextual linking but that's about as close as you get to C&P.

More annoying is the lack of tethering as that's a function I use a lot.

This said if this all people can find wrong with WP7 then it's already off to a good start.

If you wanted to pick bones why doesn't Android have the ability to save images from a MMS message? Surely that's a basic function of any phone and it's up to v2 now... Sticks and stones comes to mind about some of the comments against WP7.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]cadhael[/nom]If you wanted to pick bones why doesn't Android have the ability to save images from a MMS message? Surely that's a basic function of any phone and it's up to v2 now... Sticks and stones comes to mind about some of the comments against WP7.[/citation]

Hmm works fine on my android phone. Sounds like you dont know what your doing.

Heres how:
Click on pic in message.
Pic opens up.
Swipe finger anywhere on picture.
Get bar on bottom, click far right icon (save icon).
Select to save picture and click done.
Voila!!!!! Picture saved!!!!

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]frankydp[/nom]If c/p is not included it makes me hesitent to think what other "mandatory basics" are also not a priority. Sorry but I use c/p a lot on my smart phone and currently only BB has a real c/p.[/citation]
wrong. my sprint mogul had real c/p and so does my droid.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Now, they had copy/paste in previous versions of their phone OS. What is sooo hard about bringing it forward to the new one? This feature has been on computers for almost 30 years! 30 YEARS!!! Copy/paste should be a non-issue by now. I mean, can somebody help me here? You don't see anyone asking "Uh, does this phone support text messaging?" THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S A NON-ISSUE!By now, copy/paste should be in the same category. At least it should be a safe assumption. I was surprised that it took the iPhone so long to get it and now a brand spanking new Windows OS doesn't have it either? What!?
This OS is doomed to failure. If they wanted to compete in this market, they should've come out with their guns BLAZING! Instead, they came out with a cork gun. I use copy/paste on my phone extensively, and it would definitely be a deal breaker for me if a phone didn't have it.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]scout62[/nom]I've been using a smart phone for many years and never needed copy/paste.[/citation]
Then you haven't been using your smartphone!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Spammers are getting worse every day here. Tom's should add a "Mark as spam" button that would let us flag anyone who signed up within the last 24 hours and is posting. That would prevent old timers from getting marked as spammers and let the users help flag new spam accounts quickly.

If they get marked as spam a lot, they can then delete / ban the account.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Multitasking is also not in WP7. Cut-n-paste is great but given a choice between cut-n-paste and multitasking, I'd rather have multitasking.

Status
Not open for further replies.