Hurray! Farmville May Break Away from Facebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I don't play Farmville, but I do play some of the other games and this is what most of time on the site is spent doing now. With Facebook constantly removing more and more privacy settings, getting these games off the site would be a huge slap in the face for them as I'm sure there are many people who would leave to play the games on the Zynga portal.

G

I never really used facebook. I couldn't stand farmville either, but everyone I know and their mothers all play it!

theguy82

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I don't get that if you don't like something that is spamming your facebook page, just block it and you will never see it again.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I hate Farmville, but this is good for the games industry. It'll make people realise that Facebook isn't the only casual game center.

Honestly, I hope Facebook suffers.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]I don't "play" Farmville, but I have to wonder if it will see the same kind of success when (if) people need to log in to a separate website to be a part of it. I imagine that part of the allure is integration - while you do whatever else you do on facebook, you can do the Farmville thing, easily send messages to your friends/post to your wall about how you need them to water your goats, baconify your pigs, etc., and send obnoxious notices every time a new blade of grass starts growing.Will the hype sustain if people have to navigate elsewhere for their fix? Obviously achievements and updates are present in a lot of games, but I'm curious to see if dislodging it from Facebook will cause a meaningful drop in the number of users.[/citation]

You think to much. ;) It's most likely going away, just dance and sing!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
However much Farmville sucks, this is just another example of how Facebook sucks worse. Charging 30% on in-game purchases and trying to force the game to be Facebook only. BS.

Of course as soon as they leave Facebook they'll start to lose most of their players and get virtually no new ones.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
this is such good news... i was playing it to try and help out my younger cousins... but i cant play any game causally :p so i turned into a power gamer even there... it was quite ridiculous until i woke and said whatever... it doesnt even bring socializing as i thought it might with my younger cousins... which i was hoping to teach them how to be decent at that game as i surpassed them in 2 days what they have been doing for months... I know pathetic but i quit at least ;)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
:O my mom says that she doesnt care, and that shell play farmville wherever it goes to. OMG, looks like shell be stealing my laptop more often now, shes actually excited:(

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]my mom says that she doesnt care, and that shell play farmville wherever it goes to. OMG, looks like shell be stealing my laptop more often now, shes actually excited[/citation]
You're mother has a shell? Are you a turtle?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]The easiest way to avoid annoying Farmville messages is to just not use Facebook. Seriously, give your friends your email address and move on.[/citation]

I just moved to North America and left all of my family and friends back home in Ireland. For them, it's much easier to keep me updated via Facebook because it only takes 30 seconds. They associate email as this time consuming thing because if they're emailing, they're writing a long letter. A lot of them don't have time for that and would feel guilty sending something very short. Then there's the issue of me finding time to respond to my brothers and sister, parents, grandparents. not to mention my friends, one by one. Sure some of them could get a blanket email but not all of them. I agree with you to an extent, but I think it's similar to a professor posting grades on the notice board or having students make an appointment to go see him to get their results. Making appointments is going to involve having discussions with each individual student when perhaps not all of them will have a lot to say to you or you to them. Facebook is just easier sometimes.

Vectrexer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Seeing how Zynga likes to stiff its contractors I'm not to sympathetic about any losses they migh have from haveing to pay Facebook. I am sure they will loose a lot of customers if they decide to break off. One thing they are forgetting shoudl they decide to leave Facbook is they face they are undoing the social aspect of the game. Facebook, and to some degree mySpace, are the frameworks that tightly bind the Zynga games to their players. I for one would not give a second thought to allowing notifications via email. Notifications on Facebooks are alreayd too much. I simply would not allow another piece of Zynga spam into my personal email.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
My other hated the farmers life.
Yet she's addicted to farmville.

Bitch about having to feed the cattle every morning, but get pissed when you miss a day and don't get you feed your farmville crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.