Solved! Huwawei Ascend G700 charging light comes on then goes off - phone won't charge.

Jun 3, 2019
I have a Huwawei Ascend G700-U10. It's 5 years old. It stopped working when the battery went kaput, and was abandoned for some time (I guess a year or two). I have just bought a new battery. When I connect it to a charging cable that works on other phones, the red charging light comes on, but after a second or two goes off again, and even if I leave it connected for a long time it doesn't seem to have any charge.

Solution
It could be a few things. The phone itself could be dead (battery or not). The battery you got, if aftermarket, could not actually work correctly with that device. Aftermarket ones are never a great idea.

It could also be that the cord is fine but just won't work with that device. Some devices are very picky and will only work with certain charging cords. Had one years ago that would only work with one out of like 10 cords, even though they all worked for everything else.

It could also be that the battery (no matter if aftermarket, OEM or used) may just not be good and you need to return it and exchange it.
It could be a few things. The phone itself could be dead (battery or not). The battery you got, if aftermarket, could not actually work correctly with that device. Aftermarket ones are never a great idea.

It could also be that the cord is fine but just won't work with that device. Some devices are very picky and will only work with certain charging cords. Had one years ago that would only work with one out of like 10 cords, even though they all worked for everything else.

It could also be that the battery (no matter if aftermarket, OEM or used) may just not be good and you need to return it and exchange it.

Reactions: mexkris
Solution
Jun 3, 2019

Thank you very much for your reply.
When you say 'the phone itself could be dead' in what way might that be? I stopped using it when the battery stopped holding charge, but it was otherwise OK - what else might have died in it since then?
Do you think the socket where the charging cable goes into the phone could be faulty?
And most importantly - how could I be sure that the replacement battery itself is or is not faulty before returning it?

I can't say what might have, it was just a possibility. Alas, while some devices you can take and put in a drawer and then years later charge them up and they still work, others don't. This is what I was referring to. Not that it would not for certain.

It is possible it is a faulty port, yes, but without having it looked at there would be no way to know for certain.

Well, again, is the battery OEM (as in the original one that comes from the manufacturer, has their logo, etc., or is it aftermarket? If it is the latter, then I would return it and get a legit one. Aftermarket stuff seems like a good idea (because it is cheaper) but it usually really isn't for electronics.