I’m an Android user and these 7 iOS 17 features give me iPhone envy

Jun 12, 2023
(click on "Read forum comments" as this comment formats weirdly in the comment section under the article).

Just going to state for the record that most features mentioned in this article were actually pioneered by Google and are available on Google Pixel / Android — some of them for years!

The journalist writing this article even states how he himself owns a Google Pixel 6. Kinda "funny" how he forgot that his own phone has all these features already — and have had them literally for years? How did that go unnoticed?
  • Live transcription of voicemails / incoming call. On Android / Google Pixel it's called "Call Screening" and it was literally launched in 2021 — that is 2 years ago on Google Pixel. It is only available in some select countries though. Even Marques Brownlee called it "kinda like Call Screening for Pixel".
  • Check-in — literally called "Safety Check" on the Google Pixel. The Verge described this feature on Android back in 2020: https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/1/21276908/google-pixel-feature-drop-june-2020-safety-check-bedtime
  • Cleaning up 2FA messages. Google Messages (the standard RCS app) has done this since 2021, where Android Police describes the feature being tested on the Indian market.
I agree that we need improvements on both the Apple Airdrop as well as the Android Nearby Sharing features. I have a Mac, but a Pixel phone. I am getting no use out of neither Airdrop nor Nearby Sharing. I still need to resort to Onedrive for my basic sharing needs.

Last edited: