I added this $50 monitor light bar to my desk setup, and it’s a game changer for how I work

Mar 24, 2024
People shedding light on their monitors should be talked/forced out of procreating. Your monitor is not a newsPAPER, it emits light on its own. Add background light all you want but it's never a good idea to direct a lamp onto it.

Mar 24, 2024
I'm guessing it's aimed more at his desktop than at the monitor, but I was wondering about putting it above it as well. And also, it's not 39 to 49 dollars on amazon, it's $79 right now.

Reactions: td47

td47

Honorable
Jan 14, 2019
I tend to agree with @TCHudson here, that illumination above a system can be useful. In my case, I have an Asus S712EA, and although it is a good fast laptop, the keyboard is badly designed, as it has silver-grey keys, with a mid-grey key-legends that can be in a shadow with the ceiling lights behind me, so very difficult to use in my set-up (especially the top row of Function keys, and the delete key).
If I am doing a lot of typing, I put my desk lamp on, that reaches over the top of the screen lid, and illuminates the keyboard perfectly. I made the mistake of NOT checking the F7 key on the product picture when I purchased it, as this would have indicated if it had a back-lit keyboard or not. If there is an extra icon on the F7 key, then it HAS a back-light. Many high-end laptops have this, but NOT my particular model!

Mar 24, 2024
I tend to agree with @TCHudson here, that illumination above a system can be useful. In my case, I have an Asus S712EA, and although it is a good fast laptop, the keyboard is badly designed, as it has silver-grey keys, with a mid-grey key-legends that can be in a shadow with the ceiling lights behind me, so very difficult to use in my set-up (especially the top row of Function keys, and the delete key).
If I am doing a lot of typing, I put my desk lamp on, that reaches over the top of the screen lid, and illuminates the keyboard perfectly. I made the mistake of NOT checking the F7 key on the product picture when I purchased it, as this would have indicated if it had a back-lit keyboard or not. If there is an extra icon on the F7 key, then it HAS a back-light. Many high-end laptops have this, but NOT my particular model!
I have no idea what you guys are rambling on about. OP is clearly illuminating his monitor:
"Even during the day with the blinds open and natural light pouring in, this monitor light bar still manages to cast a nice glow on my monitor"
"As you can see in the picture above, the monitor light bar shines down from the top of my monitor and illuminates the display itself along with the front half of my desk."