I am having a very strange keyboard glitch.

Leighton_2910

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Hello All,

Recently I have been having this bizarre glitch with my keyboard, every now and again on the sign in screen for Windows it allows me to type one letter then the keyboard completely stops working; this happens every now and again and it is really annoying, after the one letter is typed; the keyboards backlight goes off and I have to shutdown the computer a couple of times for it to work; I have tried System Restore with no luck.

My PC Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Installed RAM: 5.90GB [6GB]
System Type: 64-bit OS, x64 based processor.
Computer: Dell Inspiron 7537

Solution

Since it is a PS/2 keyboard, you are gonna have bother when attempting to troubleshoot it, since PS/2 requires a reboot to re-engage the device. It sounds like the keyboard is faulty. Time for a new one?

Leighton_2910

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
It is a PS/2 Keyboard built into my laptop no software is installed for it, just drivers which I have reinstalled; it started after I downloaded a Taskbar Hider tool.

Leighton_2910

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

I'll try using a USB Keyboard for a few days and I'll report back on my findings.

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Woops sorry.Uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver. If that doesn't do it go to power management options. In the advanced settings you will see Selective Suspend, disable it and see if that fixes it.

Leighton_2910

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

I'll see if this works, cheers!

Leighton_2910

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

This did not work.

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

Since it is a PS/2 keyboard, you are gonna have bother when attempting to troubleshoot it, since PS/2 requires a reboot to re-engage the device. It sounds like the keyboard is faulty. Time for a new one?

Solution
1) Try to delete that Taskbar software you installed.

2) Try to load a RESTORE POINT (newest one just BEFORE the issue) if possible.
- *Yes, you said you did this but I just want to confirm he restore point was PRIOR to the problem.

3) Scan for malware.
- Malwarebytes free
- other

4) Did you Google the exact software name you installed (taskbar hider) with the issue you have?

5) If really stumped you can try doing an in-place upgrade of Windows 10.
a) obtain or create a W10 Install media (i.e. Microsoft W10 site, media creation tool download, run to download your version of W10)
b) start Windows
c) insert the USB or DVD W10
d) run "startup.exe" on that
e) *Make sure to select to "KEEP APPS AND DATA" (ideally you should first make a backup image or at least backup critical data)

It's a laptop. I'm not sure if this works the same as PS2 on a desktop. Pretty sure the keyboard won't turn off to save power.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a software glitch tied in with the Taskbar Hider software he installed but we shouldn't assume that is the case.

I thought it might be a coincidence and the keyboard is failing, but it should also stop working in Windows so that seems unlikely.