I am trying to connect my 2010 Samsung DVD\VCR combo player to my brand new Seiki flat sceen tv.

javen roper

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
I have a Samsung DVD/VCR combo player that I am trying to connect to Seiki flat screen TV.
I have all the red, blue , green cables hooked up to right places, but when turn on the combo
player it will only turn on to DVD side not the VCR. The model number of the Samsung combo
player is DVDV9800 and Seiki TV is SE20HY. I also used a HDMI cable and it still did not work.
I bought the Samsung combo player in 2010 and the Seiki TV four days ago so, can you help
me?

Solution
The VCR part of the unit will not output through the component video output. Both the DVD and VCR will output via the yellow composite video output. If your TV has separate composite video (yellow RCA jack) and component video (3 RCA jacks) then use both because the DVD will look better via the component connection. The audio connection will have to be split to connect to both video inputs.
Some TVs share the composite and component inputs and you have to select which type you are using. Check the manual for details.

javen roper

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from javen roper : "Connecting old combo player to new flat screen tv."

I meant to add in my first question that I have the red, white, blue, green, cables connected both
to the Samsung combo player(DVD/VCR) and Seiki flat screen TV. The yellow cable is not
connected to either one of them. Can you help me with this problem?

The VCR part of the unit will not output through the component video output. Both the DVD and VCR will output via the yellow composite video output. If your TV has separate composite video (yellow RCA jack) and component video (3 RCA jacks) then use both because the DVD will look better via the component connection. The audio connection will have to be split to connect to both video inputs.
Some TVs share the composite and component inputs and you have to select which type you are using. Check the manual for details.

Solution