I am working on a new proj. need help picking the software

reble

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
My plain for an up-coming Star Trek convention is to take digital pictures of people in front of a plain blue background. Then superimpose the image of them into an action photo or superimpose a picture of a uniform on them, then print the picture. Does anyone have any ideas on what freeware or payed software (that won't cost me an arm and a leg to get it) that will get the job done. The digital camera I have already.

Steve

The blue background/replace is easy with any photosoftware. Putting a uniform on them really won't work as everyone is a different size and will have a different pose. It will mostly look bad to do the uniform.

More so though, is the fact that using the uniforms in anyway that you are making money from, is probably a copyright violation.

As would probably most of the photo's you would use for a background to an "action pose". Using them without permission for profit, could again get you in trouble.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

Eh, I think the cops have more things to worry about like drug-busting rather than Star Trek conventions. I don't see any legal action being taken against this. If so they'd probably lose loyal fans.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Software?
Free = paint.net or GIMP.
Paid = Paintshop Pro
Paid x 3 = Photoshop

Actually doing it? After a couple of months of everyday practice, you will be able to correctly (sort of but will look very crappy) superimpose a uniform on a person in 2-3 hours each.

To get it 'right' is a lot harder than it looks.

Adding on that, the above mentioned copyright aspects.

USAFRet

Illustrious

It's not the 'cops', but rather the lawyers from CBS and Paramount.

reble

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Who is talking about making a profit. If any money changes hands. The money is reimbursement for supply's only. Like ink and paper. I own the digital camera, laptop and printer. Also this is such a small operation. Who will notice it or care. It is just a club having fun.

madsen777

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
Your project is in the cos-play category and won't be a problem as companies accept a certain fan interaction with their trade marked characters.

Free software for this could be paint.net wich handles layers like photoshop and will do your simple job as easy as in photoshop. http://www.getpaint.net

If you prepare a series of uniforms and backgrounds should make you able to put those 3 together within minutes. Layer 1: background, Layer 2: person and Layer 3(front layer): uniform.
Layer 3, the uniform can easily be stretched in height and width to cover the body of any sized person. Of course it will not look perfect if a "large around the tummy" person wants to be superman but it will be fun anyways.

For resolution you should prepare your things in around 4000 x 3000 pixels for good print quality.