I cannot get my Lenovo Y510p to use my NVIDIA GT 750M

cpuman99

Commendable
May 25, 2016
My laptop only uses the Intel Integrated Graphics. I have tried almost everything to get it to work. I reinstalled all the drivers, tried old drivers, upadated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, uninstalled intel and NVIDIA graphics drivers and reinstalled, etc.

I also cannot access the NVIDIA Control Pannel. I dont see it when I right click on my desktop but I do see it in control panel, it just wont open. I also see the graphics card in device manager but no matter what I do it wont be put into use.

Please help,
Thanks.

Solution
From another post:

What is your battery power setting set to? If you're on "power saver," your laptop is likely defaulting to onboard graphics over your onboard 750M in order to save battery.
Hi,

Please do try doing a clean install of the graphics card driver that may help.
- Go to Device Manager first and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do try setting Nvidia as the default GPU again.
- http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F

Feb 24, 2018
As I've learned recently, these Lenovo machines with switching graphics processors depend on several pieces being just the right version to work with each other. Nvidia Control Panel not opening is a sign that some piece is missing or disabled. Lenovo thankfully puts out mostly compatible stuff if everything is the latest that your OS can use (downloads from NVidia and intel may not work with your machine as their disclaimers say)
For a y510p the software/drivers should be at:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y510p-notebook/downloads?linkTrack=Caps%3ABody_SearchProduct&searchType=3&keyWordSearch=Y510P%2520Laptop%2520%2528ideapad%2529

For my Ideapad, I installed (for win 8 or 10 whichever larger number was available):
1. Intel Chipset Driver (probably overkill/not needed)
2. Intel Management Engine Driver

Lenovo Energy Management
Lenovo System Interface Foundation

Took control of C:\temp\NVIDIA (don't know why but a piece of the NVidia installer needed this, so create it if it doesn't exist and make sure your installer gets full control of this location. You can delete it later)

4. Intel VGA Driver
4. NVIDIA VGA Driver (Express Install)
(if these don't work, you will have to uninstall & delete the current drivers via device manager until they are using some Microsoft driver and that may even require safe mode work if things decide to get funny on you and freeze your screen or something of the sort)

Restart
4. NVIDIA VGA Driver (Custom Install with Clean Install checked)

After that (& a restart that was part of the install) NVidia Control Panel worked, and I was able to make the preferred graphics processor in Global Settings the High-Performance NVIDIA processor. Was also sure to Manage updates... and shut off auto updating the driver since I'm pretty sure the most recent one from NVIDIA wasn't playing nice w/ the rest